If you have three things in a bra ket what does it mean?

In summary: The book is based on a set of lectures given by the author at Stanford University in 2007. It provides a concise introduction to the concepts of quantum mechanics and statistical physics. It also includes a brief review of classical mechanics and introduces the mathematical tools used in quantum mechanics. The book covers topics such as wave-particle duality, the uncertainty principle, quantum entanglement, and quantum computing. It is a great resource for anyone looking to gain a solid understanding of the fundamentals of quantum mechanics.
rwooduk
say you have <ψ|x|ψ⟩ or <0|F|k⟩ where F is an operator, what does this actually mean? I understand C|ψ⟩ would be the operator C acting on PSI and <ψ1|ψ2⟩ is the inner product of two wavefunctions but what would a third term inbetween them mean?

thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, when an operator [itex]F[/itex] acts on a state [itex]|\psi\rangle[/itex], it produces a new state: [itex]|\psi'\rangle = F |\psi\rangle[/itex]. So the expression [itex]\langle \phi | F | \psi \rangle[/itex] is just the inner product of [itex]|\phi\rangle[/itex] and [itex]F |\psi\rangle[/itex].

The nice thing about Hermitian operators is that the inner product of [itex]|\phi\rangle[/itex] and [itex]F |\psi\rangle[/itex] is the same as the inner product of [itex]F |\phi\rangle[/itex] and [itex]|\psi\rangle[/itex]. In [itex]\langle \phi | F | \psi \rangle[/itex], you can view [itex]F[/itex] as acting to the left on [itex]\phi[/itex] or to the right on [itex]\psi[/itex].

Likes rwooduk
ahh okay many thanks! its the bra notation for the wavefunction in front of the operator that confuses me, could you explain how it differs from the wavefunction in the ket?

also if F can act left or right, is that like saying the two wavefunctions are overlapping (or bound) so it doesn't matter which the operator acts on first?

thanks again for the reply!

It doesn't matter which wavevector (the bra or the ket) the operator acts on, but that doesn't have anything to do with the wavefunctions overlapping or bound.

Likes rwooduk
The true mathematical justification of the use of bras and kets cannot be formulated in the absence of rigged Hilbert spaces. But this state of the art, which many people wouldn't understand. To be 'sandwich'ed between a ket and a bra an operator needs to be selfadjoint. One then has that

$$\langle A\psi, \phi\rangle = \langle \psi, A\phi\rangle \equiv \langle \psi |A|\phi\rangle $$

Likes rwooduk and bhobba
An operator need not be self-adjoint to be sandwiched, e.g.,
##\langle m|a^\dagger|n\rangle = \sqrt{m}\delta_{m,n+1}##

Likes rwooduk
Avodyne said:
An operator need not be self-adjoint to be sandwiched, e.g.,
##\langle m|a^\dagger|n\rangle = \sqrt{m}\delta_{m,n+1}##
I think the opposition to sandwiching operators which aren't self-adjoint is that it is ambiguous notation. You have to think about acting to the left with the adjoint of the operator that you see in the middle. The notation generally employed by mathematicians avoids such ambiguities.

Likes rwooduk
dextercioby said:
The true mathematical justification of the use of bras and kets cannot be formulated in the absence of rigged Hilbert spaces

Very true.

But everyone into QM should have a smattering of knowledge of it:
http://physics.lamar.edu/rafa/cinvestav/second.pdf

Thanks
Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes rwooduk
Nothing ambiguous about it. ##\langle m|a^\dagger|n\rangle = \langle m|(a^\dagger|n\rangle) = (\langle m|a^\dagger)|n\rangle##, and ##\langle m|a^\dagger =(a|m\rangle)^\dagger##.

Avodyne said:
Nothing ambiguous about it. ##\langle m|a^\dagger|n\rangle = \langle m|(a^\dagger|n\rangle) = (\langle m|a^\dagger)|n\rangle##, and ##\langle m|a^\dagger =(a|m\rangle)^\dagger##.

The issue is in Rigged Hilbert spaces - care is required in exactly what one can apply an operator to.

Thanks
Bill

Likes vanhees71 and rwooduk
Excellent! Thanks for all the replies!

bhobba said:
Very true.

But everyone into QM should have a smattering of knowledge of it:
http://physics.lamar.edu/rafa/cinvestav/second.pdf

Thanks
Bill

Very good link! Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
More caveats can be found in the following very illuminating paper:

Gieres, F.: Mathematical surprises and Dirac's formalism in quantum mechanics, Rep. Prog. Phys. 63, 1893, 2000
http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/9907069

Likes rwooduk
rather than start a new thread could I throw in a quick question about domains and ∈,

What is the domain of an observable? Is it simple the place when it can be seen? and also for this domain:

D(Q) = {f∈L^2|xf∈L^2}

I understand Q is the position operator, this this is where its position will reside, HOWEVER, what does f∈L^2 actually mean? Wiki says f would be an element of the set L^2, what's a set in this instance?

Thanks again

This is really abstract and the chosen example is a little tricky. D(Q) is the (maximal) domain of the operator, the set of all states for which you can measure the position of a particle. As for <f(x) is an element of L^(2)>, well it suffices to say that |f|2 is Lebesgue integrable over a certain open domain of R3.

Likes rwooduk
Leonard Susskind at Stanford U.'s YouTube channel has marvellous introduction and reviews from basic mechanics to advanced QM and cosmology.

Likes rwooduk
dextercioby said:
This is really abstract and the chosen example is a little tricky. D(Q) is the (maximal) domain of the operator, the set of all states for which you can measure the position of a particle.

ahh i think i see now, it is the limit of where the operator can operate.

dextercioby said:
As for <f(x) is an element of L^(2)>, well it suffices to say that |f|2 is Lebesgue integrable over a certain open domain of R3.

no idea what that means but it gives me something to look into, thanks for your reply!

Doug Huffman said:
Leonard Susskind at Stanford U.'s YouTube channel has marvellous introduction and reviews from basic mechanics to advanced QM and cosmology.

Yes, I have reached Lecture 5, I agree it's very good. Thanks.

I would recommend Leonard Susskind theoretical minimum series he covers the basics of q bits and twospin system and derives all the basics equations such as Heisenbergs uncertainty principle and schrodinger time(in)dependent equation from then on it's just harmonic oscillators and so on...

Likes rwooduk
moriheru said:
I would recommend Leonard Susskind theoretical minimum series he covers the basics of q bits and twospin system and derives all the basics equations such as Heisenbergs uncertainty principle and schrodinger time(in)dependent equation from then on it's just harmonic oscillators and so on...

I have ordered this book. thank you!

Good it's really great, so lots of fun,if you have any questions on the stuff just ask me.

Likes rwooduk

Related to If you have three things in a bra ket what does it mean?

1. What is a "bra ket" in science?

A "bra ket" is a notation used in quantum mechanics to represent a vector in a Hilbert space. It is made up of two parts: the "bra" \langle A \right|, which represents the conjugate transpose of the vector, and the "ket" \left| B \rangle, which represents the vector itself.

2. What does it mean to have three things in a bra ket?

Having three things in a bra ket means that the vector is in a three-dimensional Hilbert space and is represented as \langle A,B,C \rangle. This notation is used to denote a state or a measurement in quantum mechanics.

3. How is a bra ket used in quantum mechanics?

A bra ket is used to represent vectors and operators in quantum mechanics. It is used to calculate inner products, which are used to determine probabilities and expectation values of quantum states and measurements.

4. Can a bra ket have more than three things?

Yes, a bra ket can have any number of things depending on the dimension of the Hilbert space it represents. For example, a four-dimensional Hilbert space would use a bra ket with four things: \langle A,B,C,D \rangle.

5. How is a bra ket different from other notations in quantum mechanics?

Bra kets are specifically used in quantum mechanics to represent vectors and operators in a Hilbert space. Other notations, such as Dirac notation and matrix notation, are also used in quantum mechanics but serve different purposes.