If we consider the universe as bounded but infinite

In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of the bounds of the universe and energy, specifically the concept of infinite matter and energy and the possibility of a big crunch. The question of why mass in the universe is bounded was also brought up, with the explanation that a finite volume can only contain a finite number of particles being given. The conversation also touched on the idea of a continuous substance and the limitations of a finite volume.
Atlas3
Gold Member
Would someone like to have a conversation with me about the bounds of the universe and energy? I have a few ideas rambling around.. When I say bounds I mean the expanding bubble. But I would like to discuss infinite matter and infinite energy big crunch possibility. I'm a beginner with BIG thoughts.

Space news on Phys.org
I'm afraid you won't find that here, have you had a chance to look at the forum rules ?

Atlas3 said:
Would someone like to have a conversation with me about the bounds of the universe and energy?

That's too broad as it stands for a PF thread. Can you pick one specific thing you have a question about?

Likes Atlas3
wabbit said:
I'm afraid you won't find that here, have you had a chance to look at the forum rules ?

I am trying to navigate and I'll find the guidelines. Thank you. If you are a moderator you can delete or close this thread. Thank you

Atlas3 said:
Why is mass in the universe bounded?
There's no proof that it is, we don't know. What is bounded is the mass in the observable universe, but I'm stuck for a proof here. I would say because we know (or at least we have good evidence that) the observable universe has a finite volume (there's a limit to how far we can see), and finite volumes can contain only a finite number of particles.

Likes Atlas3
wabbit said:
the observable universe has a finite volume (there's a limit to how far we can see), and finite volumes can contain only a finite number of particles.

Yes, exactly.

wabbit said:
There's no proof that it is, we don't know. What is bounded is the mass in the observable universe, but I'm stuck for a proof here. I would say because we know (or at least we have good evidence that) the observable universe has a finite volume (there's a limit to how far we can see), and finite volumes can contain only a finite number of particles.
PeterDonis said:
Yes, exactly.
PeterDonis said:
Yes, exactly.
There does not seem to be a limit on how many particles there are? Exactly that there is no distance between them and an infinite number of them. I could call them Dark Particles.

Atlas3 said:
there is no distance between them

This is not correct. What we are calling "particles" are not really point particles; they can't get arbitrarily close together. A better way of phrasing all this would be that a finite volume can only contain a finite mass.

PeterDonis said:
This is not correct. What we are calling "particles" are not really point particles; they can't get arbitrarily close together. A better way of phrasing all this would be that a finite volume can only contain a finite mass.
mass and particle are not the same thing. I don't mean discovered particles in my thoughts, or charged particles that cannot become close. More of an substance of ether in what i was thinking. I don't know the definition of point. I really cannot describe what i think the size of infinity is. To me it does not exist a countable finite size when considering infinity and particles. They don't have to be a part of something.

Atlas3 said:
More of an substance of ether in what i was thinking.

The matter and energy in our universe is not a continuous "substance". It comes in discrete, quantized pieces, which are what we were calling "particles" in previous posts. And a finite volume can only contain a finite number of such discrete, quantized pieces. That is the physical fact, and it is why a finite volume can only contain a finite mass.

Thread closed since the OP's question has been answered.

Related to If we consider the universe as bounded but infinite

1. What does it mean for the universe to be bounded but infinite?

When we say that the universe is bounded but infinite, we mean that it has a finite size or boundary, but it does not have an end or edge. This means that the universe continues infinitely in all directions.

2. Is there any evidence to support the idea of a bounded but infinite universe?

There is currently no concrete evidence to support this idea. However, some theories, such as the "Poincaré dodecahedral space" model, suggest that the universe may have a finite but unbounded shape.

3. How does the concept of a bounded but infinite universe differ from a finite universe?

In a finite universe, there is a definite boundary or edge, and beyond that boundary, there is nothing. In a bounded but infinite universe, there is still a boundary, but it does not have an end, and the universe continues infinitely beyond it.

4. If the universe is bounded but infinite, what exists beyond its boundaries?

It is currently unknown what exists beyond the boundaries of a bounded but infinite universe. Some theories suggest that there may be other universes or dimensions beyond our own.

5. Can we ever fully understand or comprehend a bounded but infinite universe?

It is difficult for us as humans to fully comprehend the concept of a bounded but infinite universe, as our understanding is limited by our perception and current scientific knowledge. However, with continued research and advancements in technology, we may be able to gain a better understanding of this concept in the future.