What's the science behind hypnotism?

• Thread starter wasteofo2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Science
In summary, hypnosis does work to some degree, but it's not something super powerful and requires a lot of willingness on the part of the hynotee.
wasteofo2
What's the science behind hypnotism? Is there really some sort of way to be quickly put into a trance-like state where you'll be succeptable to suggestions? For instance, if someone bites their nails, could they concievably be hypnotized and commanded to stop, and when they wake have no desire to bite their nails?

Biology news on Phys.org
Hypnotism is real and it works, but it isn't anything super powerful. It is a suggestion and the hynotee will either choose to follow or not depending on numerous factors. It's power lies in the fact that it seems to go straight to the subconscious, a region which we typically can't access very well...whatever that really means.

the point is, it is more powerful than a normal suggestion:
EG: Me walking up to you and saying "Hey, why don't you stop biting your nails"
but is essentially the same sort of thing.

Perhaps it can work to counter nail-biting on acount of the fact that Hypnosis is supposed to be subconsciousstuff, and nail biting is subconscioussort of stuff too. So me telling you to stop biting your nails is one thing (You may agree with me and tell me that you are trying to stop), but then you subconsciously continue to do it when you aren't aven aware of it. While Hypnosis tells the part of the brain which actually does it to stop...?

I don't see how hypnotism can work, unless the subject is "very" willing to go along.

When I lived in Chicago, I met a psychologist that happened to be one of the "leading clinical hypnotists" in the US at the time. He said he had never met anyone he was not able to put under.

Well, he couldn't put me under, and I wasn't fighting it, I actually thought it would be an interesting experience and wanted to try it.

I ruined his day.

1. What is hypnotism?

Hypnotism, also known as hypnosis, is a state of consciousness in which a person experiences increased suggestibility and a heightened sense of focus and concentration. It is often used for therapeutic purposes, such as helping people overcome fears or addictions, but also used for entertainment purposes as well.

2. How does hypnotism work?

The exact mechanism of how hypnotism works is still not fully understood, but it is believed to involve a combination of relaxation, focused attention, and suggestion. During hypnosis, the brain waves slow down and the conscious mind becomes less active, making the subconscious mind more open to suggestion.

3. Is hypnotism real or just a trick?

While there is still some debate in the scientific community, there is evidence to suggest that hypnotism is a real phenomenon. Studies have shown that hypnosis can have a measurable effect on brain activity and can be used to help people with various psychological and physical issues. However, it is important to note that not everyone is susceptible to hypnosis and results may vary.

4. Can anyone be hypnotized?

Not everyone is equally susceptible to hypnosis, but most people can be hypnotized to some degree. Factors such as openness to suggestion, willingness to participate, and the skill of the hypnotist can all play a role in the effectiveness of hypnosis. Some people may also have a natural ability to enter into a hypnotic state more easily than others.

5. Are there any risks or side effects of hypnotism?

When conducted by a trained and licensed professional, hypnotism is generally considered safe. However, some people may experience side effects such as headaches, dizziness, or emotional distress during or after a hypnosis session. It is important to consult with a qualified hypnotist and disclose any pre-existing medical conditions before undergoing hypnosis.