Optimize Windows QuickLaunch Sorting | Organize Your QuickLaunch Bar Efficiently

In summary, he used a method to keep the icons in the quicklaunch bar in alphabetical order, despite them being rearranged on each reboot.
aychamo
Hey guys, you know the Windows QuickLaunch bar? It's the little thing by the Start Button. For some reason on my WinXP system it would not maintain the order that I sorted them by (I like my Firefox, then Show Desktop, mp3 folder, then WinAmp).

I'd sort them, but upon each reboot they would be set back to the order I did not like. So I figured something out :) I saw they seemed to be in alphabetical order by their name, so I renamed them so that they would sort by alphabetical order, and sure enough they do :) Now I can maintain the order I want. A bit of a pain in the ass, but it was fun to figure out.

Is there a way to do this without doing what I did?

Computer science news on Phys.org
It might be that you are lacking permission to alter the desktop. Though, in that case, I'd wonder why it let's you change the names.

Would this happpen to be a computer. That multiple people log into using different logins?

Or you can just right-click on the Icons in the start menu and select: Pin to Start Menu, so it's permanent.

Firstly, he's asking about the quicklaunch taskbar, not the start menu. Secondly, I've never heard of "Pin to Start Menu". I have XP, and I don't have that option.

You just heard now. There's always a first time for everything.

Go to Start, right click on any icon there and one of the option would say Pin to Start Menu

I don't have that. I've done a lot of right-clicking in my time, and I haven't come across that ever. What version of Windows do you use?

Yeah, I don't have that "Pin to Start Menu" either. It's probably some add on he did or something.

I have Windows XP. It's a feature, I did not add or modify anything.

Check out the screenshot
http://www.yoursincyberspace.com/NeighborhoodPics/showphoto.php?photo=431&size=big&password=&sort=1&cat=3022

EDIT - It only works on the icons in the 'Start' button

Last edited by a moderator:
OK. I had my start menu set win Win98 style. When I set it to XP style, non-folder items in the Programs group had that option.

It's nifty. You can also Disable the very annoying Error reporting feature, but that would be on another thread :)

The Right Question

Ok, let's ask the right Q...when one wouldn't be caught dead w/ the stupid WinXP look and puke, how does one keep the QuickLaunch icons from rearranging themselves?

1. How do I change the order of icons in the Windows QuickLaunch toolbar?

To change the order of icons in the QuickLaunch toolbar, simply click and drag an icon to the desired position. You can also right-click on the toolbar and select "Sort by Name" to automatically arrange the icons alphabetically.

2. Can I add custom shortcuts to the QuickLaunch toolbar?

Yes, you can add custom shortcuts to the QuickLaunch toolbar by right-clicking on the toolbar and selecting "Open Folder." This will open the QuickLaunch folder where you can copy and paste your desired shortcuts.

3. How do I remove icons from the QuickLaunch toolbar?

To remove icons from the QuickLaunch toolbar, right-click on the icon and select "Delete." You can also right-click on the toolbar and uncheck the icons you want to remove under "Toolbars" > "QuickLaunch."

4. Why are my QuickLaunch icons disappearing?

If your QuickLaunch icons are disappearing, it could be due to a Windows update or a glitch. Try restarting your computer or resetting the QuickLaunch toolbar by right-clicking on the taskbar and selecting "Taskbar Settings" > "Turn system icons on or off" and making sure QuickLaunch is turned on.

5. Can I change the size of icons in the QuickLaunch toolbar?

Yes, you can change the size of icons in the QuickLaunch toolbar by right-clicking on the toolbar and selecting "View" > "Large Icons" or "Small Icons."