If The Sun Turned Completely To Water, Would It Freeze Or Boil?

In summary, if all the helium in the sun fused together to make oxygen, and then the hydrogen combined with the oxygen to make water, even though it doesn't always work perfectly, the sun would likely freeze over due to the insanely high temperatures of outer space.
Bawhoppen
Lets say all the helium in the sun fused to make oxygen, if that and the hydrogen combined to make water, even though it doesn't work out perfectly, let's say it did, and the sun turned completely to water, would it freeze because of temperature cause it to freeze, or the pressure cause it to boil?

Physics news on Phys.org
I put this in the wrong spot didn't I?

Nope I guess this is right spot

please answer

You need to add in several factors here my friend! Factors such as;

Does this star have a planet system?
How big of a star are we talking?
Are tidal forces at play?

But let's put those factors aside for while. I'm assuming this star doesn't have a planet system. So yes in the strange scenario, I suppose the outer layers would most likely freeze over due to the phenomenal outside temperatures of outer space. But most likely the inner layers would still stay liquid.

bawhoppen said:
Lets say all the helium in the sun fused to make oxygen, if that and the hydrogen combined to make water, even though it doesn't work out perfectly, let's say it did, and the sun turned completely to water, would it freeze because of temperature cause it to freeze, or the pressure cause it to boil?

Depending upon the size of your star and mass, I suppose the inner layers would become some form of metallic liquid. I could imagine.

In fact, The star would probably never ever produce any form of H2O as hydrogen nuclei fuse with each other to produce Helium. As this hydrogen is depleted, The star creates another denser layer on the inside and pushes out the hydrogen fusing layer. So now the star is fusing heavier nuclei together and so the process goes on.

Hope I helped some how, If I am wrong in anything i stated please do feel free to correct me. :)
-.euphoria

Last edited:
I can't provide specific time-lines, but I rather suspect that there wouldn't be much hydrogen left in the area by the time oxygen shows up. Stars don't fuse everything at once. When the initial hydrogen-to-helium2 tapers off, the radiation pressure can't maintain itself against gravity, and the star collapses a bit. That compression allows the helium2 and remaining hydrogen to combine into helium3. The next stage is lithium, then carbon (beryllium and boron are in there too, but not really important). After carbon comes oxygen, by which time pretty much all of the hydrogen is gone. Remember also that at stellar temperatures the substances are in plasma form rather than gaseous, so molecular bonding can't occur. Fusion is the only way that atoms can combine, since all of the electrons are stripped off and flying around loose.

Based on my opinion, I think the sun will boil due to the process of nuclear fusion that happens naturally in the Earth's core. The water or oxygen nuclei will smash at each other because of the strong gravity pull of the Sun's core. The energy and heat given off by this process makes the Sun's temperature to about 600'000 degree Celsius. If the Sun really did turned to water, all we'll see is just lot's of steam...

Even when the Sun does end up converting helium to oxygen there won't be any water in the Sun. The temperatures in the Sun are far too high for any compounds to exist. The temperatures are even too high for neutral atoms to exist. The core of the Sun comprises atomic nuclei and free electrons that are completely dissociated from those nuclei.

All the restrictions aside what would happen like let's say someone put oxygen in when there was still a lot of hydrogen

.euphoria said:
You need to add in several factors here my friend! Factors such as;

Does this star have a planet system?
How big of a star are we talking?
Are tidal forces at play?

But let's put those factors aside for while. I'm assuming this star doesn't have a planet system. So yes in the strange scenario, I suppose the outer layers would most likely freeze over due to the phenomenal outside temperatures of outer space. But most likely the inner layers would still stay liquid.

Depending upon the size of your star and mass, I suppose the inner layers would become some form of metallic liquid. I could imagine.

In fact, The star would probably never ever produce any form of H2O as hydrogen nuclei fuse with each other to produce Helium. As this hydrogen is depleted, The star creates another denser layer on the inside and pushes out the hydrogen fusing layer. So now the star is fusing heavier nuclei together and so the process goes on.

Hope I helped some how, If I am wrong in anything i stated please do feel free to correct me. :)
-.euphoria

this is our sun

Danger said:
I can't provide specific time-lines, but I rather suspect that there wouldn't be much hydrogen left in the area by the time oxygen shows up. Stars don't fuse everything at once. When the initial hydrogen-to-helium2 tapers off, the radiation pressure can't maintain itself against gravity, and the star collapses a bit. That compression allows the helium2 and remaining hydrogen to combine into helium3. The next stage is lithium, then carbon (beryllium and boron are in there too, but not really important). After carbon comes oxygen, by which time pretty much all of the hydrogen is gone. Remember also that at stellar temperatures the substances are in plasma form rather than gaseous, so molecular bonding can't occur. Fusion is the only way that atoms can combine, since all of the electrons are stripped off and flying around loose.

Lets Say It Just Randomly Turns Into Water, What Would Happen?

Bawhoppen said:

You can't just randomly say that. It's physically impossible, so what's the point of fantasizing?
Mortalitis, where did you ever get the idea that fusion occurs in Earth's core? The Earth's internal temperature comes from the decay of radioisotopes. Jupiter is the closest thing to a protostar that we have, and even its humongous gravity isn't enough to initiate fusion.
I seriously recommend that you abandon whatever source you have been receiving your science education from and hang out here a lot more.

Bawhoppen said:
Let's say it magically turned into unicorns, what would happen?

You are asking a question that is just as ludicrous as unicorns.

How about: "What would happen to 1.98892×10^30 kg of water floating in space?"

The middle would get quite hot just from the energy of gravitational collapse, probably enough to keep the surface liquid.
Although space is cold water has a large heat capacity so it would take a lot to freeze it, even with the low vapour pressure of a vacuum it would take a long time to evaporate.

The gas giants, or at least jupiter, has a significant heat output just from the gravitational energy of it's own mass.

NobodySpecial said:
The middle would get quite hot just from the energy of gravitational collapse, probably enough to keep the surface liquid.
Although space is cold water has a large heat capacity so it would take a lot to freeze it, even with the low vapour pressure of a vacuum it would take a long time to evaporate.

The gas giants, or at least jupiter, has a significant heat output just from the gravitational energy of it's own mass.

Even if you start with all the water liquid and at room temperature, there's plenty of
energy from gravitational collapse to start fusion again, since 2/3 of the atoms are
hydrogen.
If the sun was cold it would only be in equilibrium if it was of white dwarf size, so there's
plenty of gravitational energy left to heat it up again.

Danger said:
You can't just randomly say that. It's physically impossible, so what's the point of fantasizing?
Mortalitis, where did you ever get the idea that fusion occurs in Earth's core? The Earth's internal temperature comes from the decay of radioisotopes. Jupiter is the closest thing to a protostar that we have, and even its humongous gravity isn't enough to initiate fusion.
I seriously recommend that you abandon whatever source you have been receiving your science education from and hang out here a lot more.

OOPS SORRY! What i meant to say was that it happen naturally in the Sun's core, not the Earth. Typo error, sorry. So embarrassing, makes me look retarded...

Related to If The Sun Turned Completely To Water, Would It Freeze Or Boil?

1. How would the sun turn completely to water?

The sun turning completely to water is a hypothetical scenario and not scientifically possible. The sun is a massive ball of gas, primarily made up of hydrogen and helium, and it is held together by its own gravity. It cannot simply transform into a liquid state.

2. Would the water be in a liquid, solid, or gaseous state?

If we assume that the sun somehow turned into water, it would likely be in a gaseous state due to the extreme temperatures and pressures within the sun. The water molecules would be constantly colliding and breaking apart, creating a superheated gas.

3. Would the water freeze or boil?

If the sun turned completely to water, it would likely not freeze or boil. The temperature and pressure within the sun are far beyond the freezing and boiling points of water. However, if the sun were to suddenly cool down or expand, then it could potentially freeze or boil.

4. How would this affect life on Earth?

If the sun were to turn into water, life on Earth would cease to exist. The sun is crucial for sustaining life on our planet, providing heat and light for photosynthesis, among other essential processes. Without the sun, Earth would become a cold, dark, and uninhabitable planet.

5. Is it possible for the sun to turn into water in the future?

No, it is not possible for the sun to turn into water in the future. The sun is constantly undergoing nuclear fusion, which is the process of converting hydrogen into helium. This process will continue for billions of years until the sun eventually runs out of hydrogen and dies, but it will never turn into water.