If I Made Mistake on Taxes in 2019, Can I Correct It If..

In summary, the IRS will only fine you for overpayment if you filed within the last three years, you have to have filed a claim, and you may have to pay back taxes and interest.
kyphysics
it was a situation that would have led to me getting some of the money back (i.e., I paid too much that year)?

I know if you paid too little, the IRS would want you to correct it obviously, so they can rake in that $. But, what if you made an error and should have paid less that year? Would the IRS be willing to let you file a correction to get some money back? And, if so, would you have to pay a fine of some sort?

Physics news on Phys.org
No and no. Of course, you can file an amended form and of course they will refund your money if you paid too much.

However, if you're claiming beyond what you're due and your tax form looks somehwat suspicious then you could get audited but the guilty what they're doing and won't attempt it.

I can't remember when we did that one year but I think they even paid us interest and then the following year I got dinged for not listing the interest they paid us in my form. The right hand giveth back and the left hand slappeth you with a warning.

To file your claim, you have three years from the date you submitted that original form.
Go to the IRS site and download 1040-X form and instructions for that year.
There is no fine, but paid interests if they honor your claim.

kyphysics said:
And, if so, would you have to pay a fine of some sort?
Why on Earth would the IRS fine you for overpayment?

Lnewqban said:
To file your claim, you have three years from the date you submitted that original form.
They accept them up to 3 years after the due date. That is, if you filed on March 1, 2018, you can still file a 1040X today. And tomorrow, since April 15, 2018 was a Sunday.

Things to be aware of:
  1. This takes months before you will see a check.
  2. The refund itself has tax implications as @jedishrfu mentioned.
  3. The amendment may change your state tax for the year.
  4. I believe you live with your parents. This may influence their tax returns as well, depending on dependency status.

Vanadium 50 said:
Why on Earth would the IRS fine you for overpayment?
Many people think of the IRS as a mean teacher that tries to penalize you in money for failing an exam you weren't taught the material for. It's not a totally unreasonable way to feel about it...

If the IRS were a character from The Simpsons, it would not be Nelson. It would be equal parts Patty and Selma and Ralph Wiggum.

Likes gmax137 and russ_watters

1. Can I still correct my taxes for a mistake made in 2019?

Yes, you can still correct any mistakes made on your taxes in 2019. The deadline for filing an amended tax return is typically three years after the original due date.

2. How do I correct a mistake on my tax return from 2019?

To correct a mistake on your tax return from 2019, you will need to file an amended tax return using Form 1040X. This form can be found on the IRS website or obtained from your tax preparer.

3. What if I am owed a refund from my corrected tax return?

If your amended tax return results in a larger refund, the IRS will issue you a check for the additional amount. However, if you owe additional taxes, you will need to pay the amount owed along with any interest and penalties.

4. Is there a time limit for correcting a mistake on my 2019 taxes?

Yes, there is a time limit for correcting mistakes on your 2019 taxes. The deadline for filing an amended tax return is typically three years after the original due date, which for 2019 taxes is April 15, 2023.

5. Can I correct a mistake on my 2019 taxes if I have already filed for an extension?

Yes, you can still correct a mistake on your 2019 taxes even if you have filed for an extension. The deadline for filing an amended tax return is typically three years after the original due date, which for extended returns is usually October 15, 2023.