Does an infinite universe effect an infinite outlook?

In summary, our observation is necessarily limited in an infinite physical universe because space itself is expanding.
Loren Booda
Is our observation necessarily limited in an infinite physical universe?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The current thoughts that I have about the universe is that it is impossible to be finite. I'm not talking about matter incapable of pulling it back together, or anything that is up in the air right now. When I'm done with it, hopefully within the next year, I'll post up my conclusion or hypothesis whether it is correct or wrong.

Observation of what? Or Observation of everything?

Loren Booda said:
The most obvious answer would be 'yes', because c is constant (and much less than infinite), and all causal connections - including 'observation' - happen at c or slower.

But perhaps Loren has some particular slant, not yet shared, for our consideration?

An infinite physical universe, having infinite time, would allow the observation (by an immortal observer) of its infinite space even with a finite light speed. Which introduces the question: can an observer possesses properties (e. g., life-time) of unlimited values?

YOu can't see all the universe even in an infinite amount of time because space itself is expanding. The frontier between the things that will be visible and the things that won't is called the event horizon, and is actually at approximately 17 billions of ly of distance

Loren Booda said:
An infinite physical universe, having infinite time, would allow the observation (by an immortal observer) of its infinite space even with a finite light speed. Which introduces the question: can an observer possesses properties (e. g., life-time) of unlimited values?
I think we'll rapidly need to sharpen the meanings of the terms we're using here ... e.g. 'infinite physical universe', 'infinite time' ... both in themselves and wrt the universe we appear to current live in ... :biggrin:

Loren Booda said:

This seems a lot like complex infinity, is it not? I think then, it would depend on the outlook of what infinity actually is and what its physical characteristics hone to each unknown quantity. If it would be a continuum of space, who knows? As Nereid said definition in terms need to be defined here for criticism and encouragement, but don't ask me, I'm only in 10th grade! :biggrin:

Frank Tipler's "Physics Of Immortality"

An oldie, but a goodie.
Frank Tipler's "Physics Of Immortality" is a great read, and touches on the "intangible and indefinable values" of "infinity" and "immortality". The Maths may be a bit much for most, but I think its perhaps the most daring and revealing work out there, touching on this theme.
Check it out...

Nereid et al,

Let me restrict an "infinite universe" to all possible topologies of our observable spacetime manifold, where "infinite time" or "infinite space" correspond to geodesics integrated over those topologies between observer and object.

If the universe is infinite, how can it be expanding.

Space is infinite. The universe is finite.

How then can infinite space be expanding?

Infinity is a concept approached in limits, not a number. An "infinite" (velocity) field in space may be assigned an infinity of values, even those approaching infinite velocity.

Please return to my last post which defines further the thread question: "Is our observation necessarily limited in an infinite physical universe?"

1. What is an infinite universe?

An infinite universe is a theoretical concept in which the universe has no boundaries or limits, and extends infinitely in all directions. This means that the universe is not confined to a finite size or shape.

2. How does an infinite universe affect our understanding of the universe?

An infinite universe challenges our traditional understanding of the universe as a finite and observable entity. It raises questions about the boundaries and origins of the universe, and challenges our perception of space and time.

3. Does an infinite universe mean that there are an infinite number of planets and galaxies?

Not necessarily. While an infinite universe suggests that there may be an infinite number of planets and galaxies, it does not necessarily mean that they exist. The distribution of matter and energy in the universe is still subject to various physical laws.

4. Can we ever fully comprehend an infinite universe?

It is unlikely that we will ever be able to fully comprehend an infinite universe, as our human minds are limited and may not be able to grasp the concept of infinity. However, through scientific advancements and exploration, we can continue to expand our understanding of the universe.

5. How does the concept of an infinite universe impact the search for extraterrestrial life?

The concept of an infinite universe opens up the possibility of an infinite number of habitable planets, increasing the likelihood of the existence of extraterrestrial life. It also challenges us to consider the potential diversity and complexity of life forms that may exist in an infinite universe.