Aerodynamics simulation programs

In summary, the conversation is between two individuals studying mechanical engineering and in need of a program to simulate aerodynamics for a project. They are seeking advice on the best, most user-friendly, and cheapest program and are interested in importing Unigraphics NX2 models. One individual recommends the program Fluent 6.0 and the other suggests trying xfoil from MIT, which can produce colorful images of pressure and velocity around a car or aerofoil profile with just 30 minutes of practice. However, they are unsure of its compatibility with Unigraphics.
Thomas1980
Hey there.
I'm currently studying to become a mechanical engineer, and in one of my projects I'm in need of some program that can simulate aerodynamics of different shapes. I only expect some kind of simple pogram, nothing fancy, but I don't know anything about this kind of program, so I thought I'd ask all you wise guys about your experience with these. Which is best, which is most userfriendly, which is the cheapest etc.
Of course any information that you can shed on the subject is welcome, but if it is posible I'd like to import Unigraphics NX2 models into the program, since we use this modeling program on my university, this would really relieve my of a big burden, but as said, any advise is welcome.

Best regards

Thomas Hansen

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi Thomas,

I am in a similar situation of yours. I am 1 course to go to become a Mechanical Engineering, and I am working too in the Fluid Mechanics Area of my University (Escuela Politécnica de la Universidad Carlos III de Madrid). I only can talk to you of the CFD program Fluent 6.0, it is the most common program used here. Well, but talking you how heavy is it, it would be another chapter. Because I have to learn first how the hell it runs!.

try xfoil. it's free from mit site.

Fluent!

With about half an hour of practice, you can get pretty colourful pictures of contours of pressure, velocity etc around a car or aerofoil profile. Ideal for what you want, though I'm not sure about the compatibility with Unigraphics.

What is an aerodynamics simulation program?

An aerodynamics simulation program is a computer software that uses mathematical models and computational algorithms to simulate the flow of air over a given object or surface. These programs are used to predict the aerodynamic performance of vehicles, structures, and other objects.

How do aerodynamics simulation programs work?

Aerodynamics simulation programs use complex mathematical equations, such as the Navier-Stokes equations, to simulate air flow. These equations are solved using numerical methods to predict air pressure, velocity, and other aerodynamic parameters. Some programs also use computational fluid dynamics (CFD) to simulate fluid flow.

What are the benefits of using aerodynamics simulation programs?

Aerodynamics simulation programs provide a cost-effective and efficient way to test and optimize designs before physical prototypes are built. They also allow for quick and accurate analysis of different design configurations, which can lead to improved performance and reduced development time.

What types of objects can be simulated using aerodynamics simulation programs?

Aerodynamics simulation programs can be used to simulate a wide range of objects, including aircraft, cars, ships, buildings, and even sports equipment. These programs can also simulate various flow conditions, such as subsonic, supersonic, and hypersonic speeds.

Are there any limitations to aerodynamics simulation programs?

While aerodynamics simulation programs are highly advanced and accurate, they do have some limitations. These programs rely on mathematical models, which may not fully capture the complexities of real-world conditions. Additionally, the accuracy of the simulation depends on the quality of the input data and assumptions made in the model. Therefore, physical testing and validation are still necessary for a complete understanding of aerodynamic performance.