Body Modification: Why & Where Do People Get Ideas?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Body
In summary, throughout history, people have modified their bodies in various ways, such as stretching necks with rings or inserting wood stretchers in lips. This is often seen as a form of art or a way to attract a mate through sexual selection. These ideas are often influenced by cultural norms and preferences, which can change over time. Body modifications are a result of both individual desires and the influence of societal norms.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
why do people whant to modify their bodies? and where do they
get the ideas?
a few i can rember, a tribe whoes women stretched thier
necks with rings.
another i think both genders that stretch the bottom lip
by inserting a wood stretcher into it.
the list goes on and it seems no part of the body has
escaped attention.

Physics news on Phys.org
How about peacocks with the huge tail feathers, the Drosopholia H with a large wide hammer head, the mallard duck with a green head?

Simple, sexual selection.

Nautica

body modifications such as these examples are no different then people who get tatoos or piercings...to them it's a form of art...

Originally posted by Kerrie
body modifications such as these examples are no different then people who get tatoos or piercings...to them it's a form of art...

Art, which was originated and elaborated upon, due to sexual selection.

Nautica

but where do they get the ideas from? why is having
a long neck, huge bottom lip sexy.
i have tattoos when i had them it was considered
macho not sexy

Originally posted by nautica
Art, which was originated and elaborated upon, due to sexual selection.

Nautica

yes, due to sexual selection to a degree, however, it's our love of art that helps set us above just the basic animalistic instinct of gaining a sexual partner...perhaps nautica, you speak for yourself and not everyone...

by the way, it that your sexy self adorned with a tatoo in your avatar?

Yes, that is me and no I do not speak of myself. I only speak of how these art forms started - not how they are elaborated upon today, due to our love of art.

Even in nature we do not completely understand sexual selection, but we do know that it does exist.

Nautica

Chinese foot binding started because it was deemed sexy to have small feet. It started off as a simple observation on behalf of some prince I think, and, just as in the case of an evolutionary arms race, the females start trying to out compete each other, trying to get smaller and smaller feet.

Chances are, most forms of tribal and cultural extreme body modification started like this.

Originally posted by wolram
but where do they get the ideas from? why is having
a long neck, huge bottom lip sexy.

I agree with Another God's post, and it reminds me of Richard Dawkin's "memes" (from the book, The Selfish Gene), which are the main subjects of cultural evolution, just as genes are the subjects of organic evolution.

As to wolram's question:
i have tattoos when i had them it was considered
macho not sexy

And don't you think that it's in our genes for (most) females to consider the "macho" male sexy? That's the result of sexual selection, obviously, since for females to be attracted to the alpha male leads to stronger and stronger blood-lines.

It's almost like a quantum fluctuation creating the universe. Some accidental slight preference of long ago gets amplified by the positive feedback loop of sexual selection.

1. Why do people get body modifications?

People get body modifications for a variety of reasons. Some may do it for self-expression or to feel unique, while others may do it as a form of cultural or religious tradition. Some may also do it for aesthetic reasons or to make a personal statement.

2. What are some common types of body modifications?

Some common types of body modifications include tattoos, piercings, scarification, branding, and implants. Other less common forms include tongue splitting, ear pointing, and corset training.

3. Is body modification safe?

There are risks associated with any type of body modification, as it involves altering the body's natural state. These risks can include infection, allergic reactions, scarring, and nerve damage. It is important to research and choose a reputable and experienced artist to minimize these risks.

4. Where do people get ideas for body modifications?

People may get ideas for body modifications from a variety of sources, including cultural or religious influences, personal experiences, pop culture, and social media. Some people may also have a specific meaning or symbolism behind their chosen body modification.

5. Can body modifications be reversed?

While some body modifications, such as temporary tattoos or piercings, can be easily reversed, others, such as scarification or implants, may be difficult or impossible to reverse. It is important to carefully consider the potential permanence of a body modification before getting it done.