Conservation of Momentum in a Billiard Ball Collision

In summary, a billiard ball of mass m_{A}=0.400kg moving with a speed v_{A} =1.8m/s strikes a second ball, initially at rest, of mass M_{B}=0.500kg. As a result of the collision, the first ball is deflected off at an angle of 30\deg with a speed of v'_{A}=1.1 m/s.
bard
A billiard ball of mass [tex] m_{A}=0.400kg [/tex] moving with a speed [tex] v_{A} =1.8m/s[/tex] strikes a second ball, initially at rest, of mass [tex] M_{B}=0.500kg[/tex]. As a result of the collision, the first ball is deflected off at an angle of [tex]30\deg[/tex] with a speed of [tex]v'_{A}=1.1 m/s[/tex].

a) taking the x-axis as the positive direction of motion of ball A, write down the equations expressing the conservation of momentum for the components in the x and y directions seperatley.

B)Solve the equations for the speed, [tex] v'_{B}[/tex], and the angle, [tex]\theta'_{2}[/tex] of ball b. Do not assume the collision is elastic.

my work

[tex]equations[/tex]

[tex]m_{A}v_{A}=m_{A}v'_{A}\cos\theta'+ m_{B}v'_{b}\cos\theta'_{2}[/tex]

[tex]0=m_{A}v'_{A}\sin\theta'+m_{B}v'_{b}\sin\theta'_{2}[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I tried my hand at it, but bear with me, I didn't have my calc handy so I couldn't simplify anything, so I had to carry a bunch of phrases. As far as answers, I got [tex]\theta_{2} = \sin^{-1} \frac{.5(1.1)\sin (\frac{\pi}{6})}{-.4(1.8)} [/tex] For Vfinal for the initially moving ball, I got...
[tex]V_f=\frac{.4(1.8) - .5(1.1)\cos(\frac{\pi}{6})}{.4\cos(\theta_{2})}[/tex]
Like I said though, I didn't have a good way to test it out or anything, but that it was I gots, where [tex]\theta_{2}[/tex] is in radians, and in standard position. The whole [tex]2\pi-\theta_2[/tex] thing was unaccurate because it will output [tex]\theta_2[/tex] in standard position or as a negative, and doing subtracting it from [tex]2\pi[/tex] will merely warp the results. Try it out and tell me if I was close or not.
[/tex] because the signs are different between the ref angle, which is what [tex]\theta_2[/tex] is, and the actual angle, which is the aforementioned angle.
To get, I basically plugged into [tex]m_1v_o=m_1v_{1f}\cos(\theta_{2})+m_2v_{2f}\cos(\fract{\pi}{6})[/tex]
and
[tex]0=m_1v_{1f}\sin(\theta_2)+m_2v_{2f}\sin(\frac{\pi}{6})[/tex]

Last edited:
coefficient of restitution is 1 for elatic collisions which will also help u

Originally posted by bard
B)Solve the equations for the speed, [tex] v'_{B}[/tex], and the angle, [tex]\theta'_{2}[/tex] of ball b. Do not assume the collision is elastic.
Your equations look fine to me. What's the problem? If you plug in the numbers, you'll get two very simple equations. Did you try it?

well I am not sure whether this problem has a definite answer(as in 1.2 or 3.4 etc)or whther I am suposed to solve in terms of variables

well I am not sure whether this problem has a definite answer(as in 1.2 or 3.4 etc)or whther I am suposed to solve in terms of variables
If they meant you to solve it in terms of variables, why did they bother giving you all those values? Just plug in the numbers, then rewrite the two equations. You'll have two (simple) equations with two unknowns.

can someone help me in simplifying these equations? thnx

can someone help me in simplifying these equations? thnx
What are you looking for? An algebraic simplification without having to use the given information? Not going to happen. Did you try plugging in the numbers?

yes i plugged in numbers and i got

[tex].068=v'_{B}\cos\theta'_{2[/tex]

[tex]-.72=v'_{B}\sin\theta'_{2}[/tex]

thats all i can do to simplify

Last edited:
yes i plugged in numbers and i got

[tex].068=v'_{B}\cos\theta'_{2[/tex]

[tex]-.72=v_{B}\sin\theta'_{2}[/tex]

thats all i can do to simplify
Check your numbers. I got:
[tex].68=v'_{B}\cos\theta'_{2}[/tex]

[tex]-.44=v'_{B}\sin\theta'_{2}[/tex]

These equations are easy to solve! To get the angle, divide them to get [tex]tan\theta'_{2}[/tex]. Then plug back into get [tex]v'_{B}[/tex]. It won't get much easier than that.

Hey Doc Al,

thnx for helping me through this process :).

I got [tex]\theta_{2}=-33[/tex]

[tex]v'_{B}=.81 m/s[/tex]

I had made my classical error of using the reference angle for [tex]\theta[/tex] rather than the true angle, and I swapped a sign or two when I did it on paper. Sorry, at least when I reworked it my answers matched up :)

1. What is the definition of momentum in billiard balls?

Momentum in billiard balls refers to the quantity of motion or the measure of the amount of force that is needed to stop an object's movement. In other words, it is the product of an object's mass and velocity.

2. How is momentum calculated in billiard balls?

Momentum in billiard balls is calculated by multiplying the mass of the ball by its velocity. The equation for momentum is p=mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity.

3. What is the conservation of momentum in billiard balls?

The conservation of momentum in billiard balls states that in a closed system, the total momentum before a collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This means that the total momentum of the billiard balls remains constant throughout the interaction.

4. How does the mass and velocity of a billiard ball affect its momentum?

The larger the mass of a billiard ball, the greater its momentum will be at a given velocity. Similarly, the faster the velocity of a billiard ball, the greater its momentum will be at a given mass.

5. How does friction affect momentum in billiard balls?

Friction can decrease the momentum of billiard balls by slowing them down. When a billiard ball collides with another object or surface, some of its momentum is transferred to the object it collides with, resulting in a decrease in its momentum. Friction can also cause the billiard ball to change direction, which also affects its momentum.