If a wire is stretched to double of its length.What will be the strain

In summary, the conversation is about proving mathematically how the strain of a wire becomes 1 when it is stretched to double its length. The basic definition of strain is the change in length divided by the original length. The correct answer is 1, but the person got confused with the values and had to redo the equation.
qazi75
If a wire is stretched to double of its length.What will be the strain of wire?I need to prove it mathematically that how it becomes 1.

Physics news on Phys.org

Welcome
What is the basic definition of strain?
Look it up and put the values for initial and final length in the formula.

Thanks you sir.
Basic definition is:Change in length/original length.So change in length is 2l.And original length is l.So it becomes 2.While the correct answer to this statement is 1.

You've got something messed up here.

The CHANGE in length. So, what is the final length? 2I. What's the initial? I.
CHANGE = FINAL LENGTH - INITIAL LENGTH
2I is not the change. Keep that in mind and try the equation again. See what you get.

Thanks you very much!Got it.

Related to If a wire is stretched to double of its length.What will be the strain

1. What is strain?

Strain is a measure of the deformation of a material in response to an applied force or stress. It is defined as the change in length or shape of a material compared to its original length or shape.

2. How is strain calculated?

Strain is calculated by dividing the change in length or shape of a material by its original length or shape. It is typically expressed as a decimal or percentage.

3. What happens to a wire when it is stretched to double its length?

When a wire is stretched to double its length, it will experience a strain of 100%. This means that its length will have increased by 100% compared to its original length.

4. What factors can affect the strain of a wire?

The strain of a wire can be affected by various factors, including the material of the wire, the amount of force applied, and the temperature. Different materials have different levels of elasticity, which can affect how much they stretch under a given force. Additionally, changes in temperature can cause materials to expand or contract, leading to changes in strain.

5. Is there a limit to how much a wire can stretch?

Yes, there is a limit to how much a wire can stretch before it reaches its breaking point. This limit is known as the elastic limit, and once it is exceeded, the wire will experience permanent deformation or breakage.