If a and b are unit vectors....

In summary, the dot product of (2a-b).(a+3b) is equal to -1 because, using the given information that a and b are unit vectors and |a+b| = sqrt(2), we can deduce that a and b must be perpendicular to each other, meaning their dot product is 0. Therefore, the expression simplifies to 5(0) - 1 = -1.
Raerin
If a and b are unit vectors and |a + b| = sqrt(2). What is the value (dot product) of (2a-b).(a+3b)?

Is the answer -1 by any chance? If not...

I know how to find the dot product and find the magnitude and add vectors, etc. but I have never came across this a question before. I am very unclear on how to do it.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: If a nd b are unit vecotrs...

Raerin said:
If a and b are unit vectors and |a + b| = sqrt(2). What is the value (dot product) of (2a-b).(a+3b)?

Is the answer -1 by any chance? If not...

I know how to find the dot product and find the magnitude and add vectors, etc. but I have never came across this a question before. I am very unclear on how to do it.

Note that

\[\begin{aligned} (2\mathbf{a}-\mathbf{b}) \cdot (\mathbf{a}+3\mathbf{b}) &= 2\mathbf{a}\cdot\mathbf{a} +6\mathbf{a}\cdot\mathbf{b} - \mathbf{a}\cdot\mathbf{b} -3\mathbf{b}\cdot\mathbf{b} \\ &= 2\|\mathbf{a}\|^2 +5\mathbf{a}\cdot\mathbf{b} - 3\|\mathbf{b}\|^2\\ &= 5\mathbf{a}\cdot\mathbf{b} - 1\quad\text{since $\mathbf{a}$ and $\mathbf{b}$ are unit vectors}\end{aligned}\]

Since $\|\mathbf{a}+\mathbf{b}\| = \sqrt{2}$, squaring both sides and expanding via dot product leaves you with
\[\|\mathbf{a}\|^2+ 2\mathbf{a}\cdot\mathbf{b} + \|\mathbf{b}\|^2 = 2 \implies 2\mathbf{a}\cdot\mathbf{b} = 0\implies \mathbf{a}\cdot\mathbf{b} = 0\]

Therefore, we now have that

\[(2\mathbf{a}-\mathbf{b})\cdot (\mathbf{a}+3\mathbf{b}) = 5\mathbf{a}\cdot\mathbf{b} - 1 = -1\]

So yes, your answer is correct.

Chris L T521 said:
Note that

\[\begin{aligned} (2\mathbf{a}-\mathbf{b}) \cdot (\mathbf{a}+3\mathbf{b}) &= 2\mathbf{a}\cdot\mathbf{a} +6\mathbf{a}\cdot\mathbf{b} - \mathbf{a}\cdot\mathbf{b} -3\mathbf{b}\cdot\mathbf{b} \\ &= 2\|\mathbf{a}\|^2 +5\mathbf{a}\cdot\mathbf{b} - 3\|\mathbf{b}\|^2\\ &= 5\mathbf{a}\cdot\mathbf{b} - 1\quad\text{since $\mathbf{a}$ and $\mathbf{b}$ are unit vectors}\end{aligned}\]

Since $\|\mathbf{a}+\mathbf{b}\| = \sqrt{2}$, squaring both sides and expanding via dot product leaves you with
\[\|\mathbf{a}\|^2+ 2\mathbf{a}\cdot\mathbf{b} + \|\mathbf{b}\|^2 = 2 \implies 2\mathbf{a}\cdot\mathbf{b} = 0\implies \mathbf{a}\cdot\mathbf{b} = 0\]

Therefore, we now have that

\[(2\mathbf{a}-\mathbf{b})\cdot (\mathbf{a}+3\mathbf{b}) = 5\mathbf{a}\cdot\mathbf{b} - 1 = -1\]

So yes, your answer is correct.

I don't understand how 2a . b = 0 becomes a . b = 0. Does the 2 become irrelevant if the dot product is 0?

Also, if a . b = 0 then 5a . b -1 be 5(0) - 1 and that's how you get -1?

Raerin said:
I don't understand how 2a . b = 0 becomes a . b = 0.

Also, if a . b = 0 then 5a . b -1 be 5(0) - 1 and that's how you get -1?

Since $\mathbf{a}\cdot\mathbf{b}$ is a scalar, then by the zero product property $2\mathbf{a}\cdot \mathbf{b} = 0$ implies that either $2=0$ (which is absurd) or $\mathbf{a}\cdot\mathbf{b}=0$ (which is the correct choice). With that result, you can now substitute zero in for $\mathbf{a}\cdot\mathbf{b}$ in the simplified form of $(2\mathbf{a}-\mathbf{b})\cdot(a+3\mathbf{b})$ to get $5\mathbf{a}\cdot\mathbf{b} - 1 = 5(0) - 1 = -1$.

I hope this clarifies things! (Bigsmile)

The answer is not -1. To find the dot product of two vectors, you need to take the product of their corresponding components and then add them together. In this case, we have (2a-b).(a+3b). Expanding this, we get (2a).(a+3b) - (b).(a+3b). Using the distributive property, we get (2a.a) + (2a.3b) - (b.a) - (b.3b). Since both a and b are unit vectors, their magnitudes are equal to 1. This means that a.a = 1 and b.b = 1. Therefore, our equation becomes 2 + (2a.3b) - (b.a) - 3. Using the fact that the dot product of two perpendicular vectors is 0, we can simplify the equation to 2 + 0 - 0 - 3 = -1. Therefore, the dot product of (2a-b).(a+3b) is -1.

I hope this helps clarify how to approach this type of question. It's important to remember the properties of unit vectors and the dot product to solve problems like this.

Related to If a and b are unit vectors....

What does it mean for a and b to be unit vectors?

A unit vector is a vector with a magnitude of 1. This means that a and b have a length of 1 and are pointing in a specific direction.

How are unit vectors used in scientific research?

Unit vectors are often used in scientific research to represent direction and orientation in three-dimensional space. They are also useful in vector operations and calculations.

What is the difference between a unit vector and a regular vector?

A unit vector has a fixed length of 1, while a regular vector can have any length. Additionally, a unit vector only represents direction, whereas a regular vector represents both magnitude and direction.

Can two unit vectors be parallel to each other?

Yes, two unit vectors can be parallel to each other if they are pointing in the same direction. However, they can also be anti-parallel, meaning they are pointing in opposite directions.

How do you find the dot product of two unit vectors?

The dot product of two unit vectors is simply the cosine of the angle between them. This can be calculated using the formula a · b = |a||b|cosθ, where θ is the angle between the two vectors.