How to Solve for fF in K = fF/(1-fF) | Helpful Tips and Tricks"

• Thread starter Monique
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stupid
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the value of fF given the value of K in the equation k = f/1-f. One person struggles to solve the formula for fF but another person provides a simple solution by rearranging the equation. The conversation ends with a humorous anecdote about getting stuck on simple problems.
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
[tex]K = \frac{f_F}{1-f_F}[/tex]

OK, I feel like the stupidest person ever, but if I know K, how do I find fF?

I even know the answer.. if K = 0.504.. fF will be 0.335.. which is 33.5%, the other fraction is 66.5%, which is 0.504..

Still can't figure how to solve the formula :(

Mathematics news on Phys.org
[tex]\begin{align*}
K&=\frac{f_F}{1-f_F} \\
K-Kf_F&=f_F \\
K&=f_F(1+K) \\
\frac{K}{1+K}&=f_F
\end{align*}
[/tex]

see, I knew it was stupid

Thanks!

k = f/1-f

k - kf = f.

k = fk + f = f(1 + k)

f = k/(1+k)

oh already solved :wink:

such easy equations... sigh, noob chemists

I know, I got to the second part, realized that instead of having 1k and 2f, I had 2k and 2f, after which I panicked and gave up :P

maybe some sleep would be good, it is already 5.40 am after all, but the nernst equation is making absolutely NO sense! [b(]

gonna make some coffee..

Originally posted by Monique
gonna make some coffee..

LOL, it's funny how every now and then that one can get stuck on a really simple problem, like a mental block or something.

A few weeks ago I was trying to re-arrange an equation, and I knew it had a fairly simple final form (I even knew how it should end), but I just kept getting stuck at one point and couldn't get any further.

It was quite frustrating and several times I thought about posting it here but each time refrained as I knew the answer must be very simple and was afraid of looking too dumb. Eventually I figured it out, and as expected, it was actually very easy, even though it stumped me for two days!. :)

What is an equation?

An equation is a mathematical statement that shows the relationship between two or more quantities.

Why are equations important?

Equations are important because they allow us to solve problems and find unknown quantities. They are also used to model real-world situations and make predictions.

What makes a "stupid" equation solving question?

A "stupid" equation solving question is one that is overly simplistic or lacks necessary information to solve it accurately. It may also be a question that has already been clearly answered in the given equation or is based on a false premise.

How can I improve my equation solving skills?

Practice is key to improving equation solving skills. Work on a variety of problems, and use different methods to solve them. It is also helpful to understand the concepts behind the equations, rather than just memorizing algorithms.

What are some common mistakes when solving equations?

Some common mistakes when solving equations include: forgetting to distribute or combine like terms, making careless errors in calculations, or forgetting to check the solution to see if it satisfies the original equation.