Identifying the 1093nm Line in Hydrogen Spectra

In summary, the hydrogen spectrum exhibits a line with a wavelength of 1093 nm. Using the equations 1/lambda = R(1/n'^2 - 1/n^2) and Ei - Ef = 13.606 eV(1/n'^2 - 1/n^2), we can determine the transition that leads to this line by solving for the simultaneous unknowns n and n'. As both n and n' are positive integers, this information can help us find the correct answer.
hemetite

Homework Statement

A line of wavelength 1093 nm is observed in the hydrogen spectrum. Identify the transition that leads to this line.

Homework Equations

where n refers to the upper state and n' to the lower state.

1/lamda = R (1/n' - 1/n) -----1

Ei - Ef = hc/lamda ------2

The Attempt at a Solution

i am not very sure with my answer... please help along thanks.

basically i see this as a simultaneous equation with two unknown.
i put lambda = 1093nm in equation 1
hence i get,

0.083401374 = 1/n' - 1/n -------3

this is the part i am not so sure. using the equation 2.

Ei - Ef = hc/lamda

(- 13.606ev / n ' ) - (- 13.606ev / n ) = hc/1093nm

13.606 ev (1/n' - 1/n) = 1.81855 x 10^-19 ------4

If i put eq 3, 1/n' = 0.083401374 + 1/n into eq 4

it will become zero.

Where did i go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
hemetite said:
1/lamda = R (1/n' - 1/n) -----1

Ei - Ef = hc/lamda ------2

The Attempt at a Solution

i am not very sure with my answer... please help along thanks.

basically i see this as a simultaneous equation with two unknown
No, the equations

[tex]\frac{1}{\lambda}=R\left(\frac{1}{n'^2}-\frac{1}{n^2}\right)[/itex]

and

[tex]E_i - E_f =13.606\text{eV}\left(\frac{1}{n'^2}-\frac{1}{n^2}\right) \frac{hc}{\lambda}[/tex]

(You forgot to squares the "n"s! ) both give you exactly the same information (since [itex]\frac{R}{hc}=13.606\text{eV}[/itex] )

So you only really have one equation and two unknowns. However, you also know that both [itex]n[/itex] and [itex]n'[/itex] are positive integers, so this should provide you with enough additional information to answer the question.

Related to Identifying the 1093nm Line in Hydrogen Spectra

1. What is the significance of identifying the 1093nm line in hydrogen spectra?

The 1093nm line in hydrogen spectra corresponds to a specific energy level transition in the hydrogen atom. By identifying this line, scientists can gather important information about the energy levels and structure of hydrogen atoms, which can be used to further our understanding of atomic physics and quantum mechanics.

2. How is the 1093nm line identified in hydrogen spectra?

The 1093nm line is identified by analyzing the electromagnetic spectrum emitted by hydrogen atoms. This can be done using a spectrometer, which separates the light emitted by the hydrogen gas into its component wavelengths. The 1093nm line appears as a distinct peak in the spectrum, allowing scientists to identify its presence.

3. Why is the 1093nm line specifically important in hydrogen spectra?

The 1093nm line is important because it corresponds to a transition between two energy levels in the hydrogen atom that are relatively close together. This makes it easier to observe and measure compared to other transitions in the hydrogen spectrum, providing valuable information about the atom's energy levels and structure.

4. What are the real-world applications of identifying the 1093nm line in hydrogen spectra?

Identifying the 1093nm line in hydrogen spectra has many practical applications. For example, it is used in astronomy to analyze the composition of stars and galaxies, as hydrogen is the most abundant element in the universe. It is also important in developing technologies such as lasers and atomic clocks.

5. Are there any challenges or limitations in identifying the 1093nm line in hydrogen spectra?

One of the main challenges in identifying the 1093nm line is the presence of other overlapping lines in the hydrogen spectrum. These can make it difficult to isolate and accurately measure the 1093nm line. Additionally, the accuracy of the measurement can be affected by factors such as temperature and pressure of the hydrogen gas being analyzed.