Identifying Independent and Dependent Variables in Circular Motion Experiment

In summary, the conversation is about a practical investigation on the relationship between centripetal force and frequency of rotation. The independent variable is the mass of the weights used and the dependent variable is the frequency of rotation. The goal is to observe the parabolic relationship between the two and plot it on a graph.
Stroodle

Homework Statement

Hi there,

I'm doing a practical investigation to see how the centripetal force required for circular motion varies with the frequency of rotation, and I was just wondering which is the independent variable, and which is the dependent one.

The investigation involves various weights tied to a string that's threaded through a tube and tied to a rubber stopper at the other end. The rubber stopper is spun around horizontally and the frequency at different masses is measured.

I'll be keeping the radius and mass of the stopper constant.

Homework Equations

F=4 m r pi^2 f^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that the frequency is the dependent variable because it is affected by different magnitudes of centripetal force, but at the same time the frequency affects the force required for circular motion. So I'm not sure which is dependent and independent (It's just for my graph).

Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone?

Hello Stroodle. You have an interesting experimental design there.
For your design, the different masses are the indepedent variable and the frequency is the dependent variable (however, you may want to plot gravitational force of the masses as a function of the frequency even though frequency is dependent). As you have already indicated, you will find a parabolic relationship between the two. Good luck on your lab.

-PL

Thanks for that Inutard. I really appreciate your help.

Related to Identifying Independent and Dependent Variables in Circular Motion Experiment

What is an Independent Variable?

An independent variable is the variable that is changed or manipulated by the scientist in an experiment. It is the variable that is believed to have an effect on the dependent variable.

How is an Independent Variable identified?

An independent variable is identified by its ability to be changed or controlled by the scientist conducting the experiment. It should be clearly defined and measurable.

Why is the Independent Variable important in an experiment?

The independent variable is important because it allows the scientist to test their hypothesis and determine if there is a cause-and-effect relationship between the independent and dependent variables. It is also used to control for any outside factors that may influence the results of the experiment.

Can there be more than one Independent Variable in an experiment?

Yes, there can be more than one independent variable in an experiment, but it is important to only change one variable at a time in order to accurately determine its effect on the dependent variable.

How is the Independent Variable different from the Dependent Variable?

The independent variable is the variable that is changed or controlled by the scientist, while the dependent variable is the variable that is measured or observed to see if it is affected by the independent variable. The dependent variable is dependent on the independent variable for its outcome.