Identifying Freefall: Analyzing Graphs for Acceleration

• Thread starter komender
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Freefall
In summary, the conversation is about determining when a ball is in freefall during a lab experiment. One person believes it is between the two maximum points on the acceleration vs. time graph, while the other believes it is from the beginning of the first slope increase to the last slope decrease on the same graph. It is eventually clarified that the ball is considered in freefall when the acceleration is constant at around -9.81.
komender

Homework Statement

So I am doing my lab, when I realize that I am not sure where the freefall occurs. I collect the data for a ball tossed in the air, and using a vernier motion detector, I found the graphs for displacement, velocity and acceleration (attached). second peak)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured that the point where the ball was in freefall was when the acceleration graph was between the two maxima points, as marked on the graph, because this is where the only force that acts on the ball is gravity at those points. My partner on the other hand disagreed, and said that it is in freefall from the beginning of the first slope increase to the last slope decrease (at the beginning of the first peak to the end of the second peak (where it returns to become an unchanged acceleration after the ball has landed).
Which one of us is correct and why?

Attachments

• graph.jpg
    graph.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 452
Physics news on Phys.org
The body is in free fall as soon as it is not attached to or resting on anything.

komender said:
I figured that the point where the ball was in freefall was when the acceleration graph was between the two maxima points, as marked on the graph, because this is where the only force that acts on the ball is gravity at those points. My partner on the other hand disagreed, and said that it is in freefall from the beginning of the first slope increase to the last slope decrease (at the beginning of the first peak to the end of the second peak (where it returns to become an unchanged acceleration after the ball has landed).
Which one of us is correct and why?
It's unclear as to what you are saying. What maxima points on which graph? If you mean the area marked off in grey and with brackets, that's not quite correct.

I meant the bottom graph, the acceleration vs. time graph. It is the one that is marked off in grey. Does it mean that its in free fall when the acceleration is 9.81, i.e when the curve of the a/t graph is a constant?

komender said:
I meant the bottom graph, the acceleration vs. time graph. It is the one that is marked off in grey.
The peaks represent the max acceleration when the ball is being launched and stopped--the result of other forces besides gravity.

Does it mean that its in free fall when the acceleration is 9.81, i.e when the curve of the a/t graph is a constant?
Yes, when the acceleration is -9.81 or so.

Likes 1 person

Related to Identifying Freefall: Analyzing Graphs for Acceleration

1. What is freefall?

Freefall is the motion of an object under the sole influence of gravity, with no other forces acting upon it.

2. Where does freefall occur?

Freefall occurs in any situation where an object is falling under the influence of gravity, such as when a skydiver jumps out of an airplane or when a ball is dropped from a height.

3. Does freefall only occur on Earth?

No, freefall can occur on any planet or celestial body with a significant gravitational force, such as the moon or other planets in our solar system.

4. What is the acceleration of freefall?

The acceleration of freefall is approximately 9.8 meters per second squared, or 32 feet per second squared, on Earth. This value may vary slightly on other planets or celestial bodies.

5. How does air resistance affect freefall?

In a vacuum, air resistance has no effect on freefall. However, in the Earth's atmosphere, air resistance can slow down the acceleration of a falling object, resulting in a slower freefall. At higher altitudes, where air resistance is lower, the acceleration of freefall will be closer to its theoretical value.