Identifying Fluoride Molecules: Shapes & Formulas

In summary, the formula for a fluoride molecule that is octahedral in shape is SF6, for a trigonal bipyramidal shape it is PF5, and for a T-shaped shape it is ClF3. While there is no simple mathematical way to determine the most stable geometry, a systematic approach involves writing out Lewis structures and accounting for the lone pairs and ligands. The central atom should have the appropriate number of outermost electrons and vacant d orbitals for the desired shape.
neoking77

Homework Statement

Give the formula of a fluoride molecule that:
is octahedral in shape
is trigonal bypyramidal in shape
is T-shaped
...etc

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, I'm not really actually looking for an answer, because I already know the answers are SF6, PF5, and ClF3. And I have no trouble understanding VSEPR structures. What I'm wondering is if there is an systematical/mathematical way to approach this problem rather than trial and error like I did?

Thank you very much

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think there's any simple yet mathematically rigorous way of finding which geometry yields the more stable molecule , at least not that I know of.

This isn't a mathematical treatment, but it is systematic. Write out the lewis structures and account for the lone pairs and the ligands. Assume the lone pairs are ligands and assign the structure.

an octahedral molecule will have 6 electron pairs around the central atom. And all of them will be bond pairs. Now, there will have to be 6 Fluorine atoms. You should look for a central atom which can exhibit valency 6. Group 6 elements, such as sulphur. The group 6 element should also have vacant and accessible d orbitals. Oxygen will not fit.

Trigonal bipyramidal molecules have 5 electron pairs. All of them are bond pairs. If one of them were to be lone pairs, the shape would not be trigonal bipyramidal. Following the same logic as above, there should be 5 fluorine atoms. You should search for a Group 5 element, having vacant and accessible d orbitals(not nitrogen). Phosphorous is ok.

T shaped molecules have 5 electron pairs, since this is the only combination, where 3 are bond pairs and 2 are lone pairs. It resembles the trigonal bipyramidal molecule. The two lone pairs will minimise their repulsions by being at 120 degrees mutually, and be on the flat trigonal part. There will be 3 fluorine atoms across the three bond pairs.

Hence the central atom should have 7 outermost electrons (3 for bond pairs and 4 for the 2 lone pairs). A group 7 element, will be ok, such as iodine or chlorine.

this is the best way i found to draw structures. First determine the number of B.P. and L.P., and then find the central atom.

hope it helps

If the central atom of the molecule has 2 bond pairs and 0 lone pairs, then it will be linear. If it has 2 bond pairs and 2 lone pairs, then it will be v-shaped. If it has 3 bond pairs and 1 lone pair then it will be pyramidal. If it has 3 bond pairs and 0 lone pairs then it will be trigonal planar. If it has 3 lone pairs and 1 bond pair then it will be linear. I just memorize these.

Related to Identifying Fluoride Molecules: Shapes & Formulas

1. What is fluoride and why is it important to identify its molecules?

Fluoride is a chemical compound that contains the element fluorine. It is important to identify its molecules because it is commonly used in a variety of products, such as toothpaste and water fluoridation, and understanding its molecular structure can help us better understand its properties and potential health effects.

2. How do you determine the shape of a fluoride molecule?

The shape of a fluoride molecule is determined by the number of atoms and the arrangement of electron pairs around the central fluorine atom. This can be determined using the VSEPR (valence shell electron pair repulsion) theory, which states that electron pairs will arrange themselves as far apart from each other as possible, resulting in specific molecular shapes.

3. What is the difference between a linear and bent shape for a fluoride molecule?

A linear shape for a fluoride molecule means that all atoms are in a straight line, while a bent shape means that the atoms are not in a straight line and are instead bent at an angle. This difference is determined by the number of electron pairs around the central fluorine atom, with 2 electron pairs resulting in a linear shape and 3 electron pairs resulting in a bent shape.

4. What is the chemical formula for fluoride?

The chemical formula for fluoride is F2, meaning that it contains 2 atoms of fluorine bonded together. However, fluoride can also exist in other forms, such as sodium fluoride (NaF) or calcium fluoride (CaF2), depending on the other elements it is bonded to.

5. How is identifying fluoride molecules beneficial for scientific research and applications?

Identifying fluoride molecules is beneficial for scientific research and applications because it allows us to understand their properties and behaviors, and therefore develop potential uses and treatments. For example, understanding the molecular structure of fluoride can help in developing more effective toothpaste or water fluoridation methods, and can also aid in studying the potential health effects of fluoride exposure.