Identifying & Accounting for Systematic Error in Scales with 1mg Capacity

In summary, if you are trying to weigh less than 1 g then calibrating at 100 g will be suboptimal. You will be much better off calibrating to 1 g and maybe 10 g too.
Jhon81
Hi everyone,
I have a scale that should weight as low as 1mg, if there was a systematic error how could I identify it and include it in my calculations?

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume you are accounting for Tare.
Put the container on the scale and weigh it. That's your tare.
Then put the material you want to weigh into that container and place the container back onto the scale and weigh it. Then subtract the tare.

That tare will include the weight of the container and any fixed error in the scale.

If that is the type of systematic error you are talking about, then you have your answer.
Otherwise, explain it more detail.

Last edited:
Jhon81 said:
if there was a systematic error how could I identify it
Besides the approach mentioned above, the other approach is to use a set of calibrated weights of precisely known masses.

.Scott said:
I assume you are accounting for Tare.
Put the container on the scale and weigh it. That's your tare.
Then put the material you want to weigh into that container and place the container back onto the scale and weigh it. Ten subtract the tare.

That tare will include the weight of the container and any fixed error in the scale.

If that is the type of systematic error you are talking about, then you have your answer.
Otherwise, explain it more detail.
Hi Scott,
I am going to weight a very small amount of powder ( 0.7 gm ), so I do not think that using a container will help for this small amounts.

Dale said:
Besides the approach mentioned above, the other approach is to use a set of calibrated weights of precisely known masses.
Hi Dale,
I was thinking of calibrating the scale every time I use it to minimize the error.
I have a 100 gm weight to calibrate the scale so after calibration I weight it and gave me ( 100.320gm, 100.460gm, 100.630gm), can this be a systematic error and can i correct it?

Jhon81 said:
Hi Scott,
I am going to weight a very small amount of powder ( 0.7 gm ), so I do not think that using a container will help for this small amounts.
If you are using a good scale, do not put the powder directly onto it. That's not a good way to measure and it's not a good way to treat you scale.
Use something like a thin piece of paper. Measure the paper first, then put the powder on the paper and weight them together.

Also, if you are serious about knowing you systematic variations in measurement, the topic you are interested in is called "Gage R&R".
I will look for a good link - but here are a couple until I find a good one:
https://www.managementstudyguide.com/causes-of-measurement-variation.htm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ANOVA_gauge_R&R

edit---

OK: Here is a better link:
https://support.minitab.com/en-us/m...s/gage-r-r-analyses/what-is-a-gage-r-r-study/

When you go to that link, note that there are a list of related topic listed on the left. For example, check out "Worksheet Randomization for a Gage R&R Study".

Jhon81 said:
Hi Dale,
I was thinking of calibrating the scale every time I use it to minimize the error.
I have a 100 gm weight to calibrate the scale so after calibration I weight it and gave me ( 100.320gm, 100.460gm, 100.630gm), can this be a systematic error and can i correct it?
If you are trying to weigh less than 1 g then calibrating at 100 g will be suboptimal. You will be much better off calibrating to 1 g and maybe 10 g too. Be sure to check your calibration weight’s manufacturer specifications to know the tolerance and any proper handling/cleaning.

Related to Identifying & Accounting for Systematic Error in Scales with 1mg Capacity

1. What is systematic error in scales and how does it affect measurements?

Systematic error in scales refers to a consistent bias in measurements that leads to results that are consistently higher or lower than the true value. This error can be caused by issues with the scale itself, such as calibration or sensitivity, or by external factors such as environmental conditions. Systematic error can significantly affect the accuracy of measurements and must be accounted for in order to obtain reliable data.

2. How can systematic error be identified in scales with a 1mg capacity?

To identify systematic error in scales with a 1mg capacity, it is important to perform regular calibration checks using known standard weights. Any discrepancies between the measured weight and the known weight can indicate the presence of systematic error. Additionally, conducting multiple measurements of the same weight and comparing the results can also help identify any consistent biases in the scale.

3. What are some common sources of systematic error in scales with a 1mg capacity?

Some common sources of systematic error in scales with a 1mg capacity include issues with the scale's calibration, uneven distribution of weight on the scale's platform, and external factors such as temperature and humidity. Other factors such as the quality of the scale's components and user error can also contribute to systematic error.

4. How can systematic error be accounted for in measurements using scales with a 1mg capacity?

To account for systematic error in measurements, it is important to first identify the source of the error. If the error is due to issues with the scale itself, such as calibration or sensitivity, it may be necessary to perform regular maintenance and calibration to ensure accurate measurements. If the error is caused by external factors, such as temperature or humidity, these conditions should be monitored and controlled to minimize their impact on the scale's measurements.

5. Can systematic error be completely eliminated from measurements using scales with a 1mg capacity?

While efforts can be made to reduce systematic error, it is nearly impossible to completely eliminate it from measurements using scales with a 1mg capacity. However, by regularly calibrating the scale, using proper measurement techniques, and accounting for any external factors, the impact of systematic error can be minimized and the accuracy of measurements can be improved.