Identifying a Mysterious Rock: Seeking Help and Answers

• Thread starter Lori Fenton
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rock
In summary: The one thing that might help is if you could post a picture of it from all sides. Thank you!In summary, these rocks are of unknown origin, and may be a nest or egg of some sort.
Lori Fenton
Can anyone help me identify this rock a friend of mine said it might be a nest of some sort or an egg curious to know if anybody has any ideas on what it is thank you

Attachments

• 20170123_100200.jpg
    20170123_100200.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 897
  • 20170123_100010.jpg
    20170123_100010.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 791
  • 20170123_095800.jpg
    20170123_095800.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 827
  • 20170123_095909.jpg
    20170123_095909.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 871
Last edited:
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Thankyou I think you are correct I found the link helpful and very interesting

Do you I think these are dino eggs
1485223517095.jpg
1485223535150.jpg
1485223551447.jpg

Lori Fenton said:
Do you I think these are dino eggs
Unfortunately not. The first two pix in post #4 show a fossil bi-valve sea shell in a water worn pebble. The sea shell filled with silt, which has survived, but most of the shell material has been weathered away due to higher carbonate content. Can you see the internal muscle attachments on the filling? There are many other smaller fossils in that pebble.

I don't quite see the seashell thing these two rocks were found together in northern Arizona around st. John's area I believe petrified eggs maybe I don't know you're curious though they look so they're turning to Agate Maybe but then again I'm not an expert just thought they were cool

1485271176121.jpg

Please identify rocks with a number that stays with the specimen in all photos.
Post #9, top rock, could be many curved sections of fossil sea shells showing on the surface of a water worn pebble.
Post #9, bottom rock, onion skin weathering, ex-foliation, maybe from a soil or exposed to sun and frost.

Context is everything. How did they get to where you found them? Were these found with other rounded pebbles in a stream bed or dug out of boulder clay? Were they part of the local bedrock? Did they come from glacial outwash? What part of the valley?

Those rocks were found somewhere around Saint John Arizona I'm not surface of the location because a friend of mine gave them to me just before he passed away so that's all I know about them sorry
I will definitely take more care in my pictures and identifying each side of the specimens make it easier to identify thank you for the advice

Likes davenn
20 km up the road from St Johns are the rocks of the Petrified Forest National Park.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petrified_Forest_National_Park#Fossils

The proximity to Triassic formations suggests fossil reptile eggs may be present in the vicinity. The pictures do not convince me that you have fossil eggs, but rounded rocks in the vicinity could be early dinosaur or crocodile eggs. It makes a good story and encourages a healthy interest in geology.

So you think it's worth a trip to the university to have them looked at a bit closer then

Lori Fenton said:
So you think it's worth a trip to the university to have them looked at a bit closer then
Probably not. On the balance of probabilities, they are worth more as a mystery than as a certainty.

Ok thanks

Lori Fenton said:
I don't quite see the seashell thing

shell in mudstone.JPG

the shell would have curved right over the top of that arrowed yellow arrowed area but it have now worn away
Bits of shell can still be seen along the red dotted line and there will still be more of the shell on the insideDave

Lori Fenton said:
Can anyone help me identify this rock a friend of mine said it might be a nest of some sort or an egg curious to know if anybody has any ideas on what it is thank you
Lori Fenton said:
I think this is a Septarian Nodule, although not as pretty as some

Related to Identifying a Mysterious Rock: Seeking Help and Answers

What is the best way to identify a rock?

The best way to identify a rock is by conducting a series of tests, such as examining its physical properties (color, texture, shape), conducting a streak test, and performing a hardness test.

What are the different types of rocks?

The three main types of rocks are igneous, sedimentary, and metamorphic. Igneous rocks are formed from cooling and solidification of molten materials, sedimentary rocks are formed from the accumulation and cementation of sediments, and metamorphic rocks are formed from the transformation of existing rocks under high heat and pressure.

Where can I find information about different types of rocks?

There are many resources available to learn about different types of rocks, such as geology textbooks, online articles and websites, and geological maps and charts. You can also visit a local museum or geological park for hands-on learning.

How can I tell if a rock is valuable?

The value of a rock depends on many factors, such as rarity, beauty, and demand. Some rocks, like gemstones, can be valuable due to their rarity and aesthetic appeal. Others, like gold and silver, have high market value. It is best to consult a professional geologist or mineralogist to determine the value of a specific rock.

Why is it important to identify rocks?

Identifying rocks is important for understanding the Earth's history, geological processes, and natural resources. It also helps in the classification and study of different types of rocks, which can provide valuable information for various industries, such as construction, mining, and oil and gas exploration.