Identifying a Joint and Plastic Version in Australia

In summary, the conversation discusses a joint used for puppets and hobby clamps, known as an armature ball joint. The joint is commonly found in machinist's tooling supply houses or catalogs. It can also be made at home using simple materials. The possibility of finding a plastic version is mentioned, but its availability is uncertain.
Rohan99
Hi,

Does anyone know what the name of this joint is? And if possible where i could buy a plastic version in Australia or online?

IMAG0409.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Rohan.
I've never seen one like it, but it appears to just be an extremely simplified version of a ball-and-socket. Furthermore, frequent motion seems to be ruled out by the clamping screw, so tolerances aren't critical.
You could make one yourself just by gluing a ball to the end of a rod, then using a countersink drill bit to form the 2 halves of the socket in the bar stock. (I'm thinking that the background of your photo is a sheet of ruled writing paper, which is what I'm going by as a scale reference.)

I've seen this many times over the years, but never seen a "name" for it. Danger is correct in his description.

One finds these things on dial indicator positioning arms. One finds those in machinist's tooling supply houses / catalogs.

Plastic versions? Can't recall if I've ever seen plastic versions. Maybe some type of lab supply or scientific supply source may have something in plastic.

Cheers guys for the ideas, I am going to ask a few of the techies around uni and hopefully they know where I could find a plastic version from. Pretty simple joint but I got no idea where you find them. Might have to get the tools out and have a crack

Related to Identifying a Joint and Plastic Version in Australia

1. How can I identify a joint and plastic version in Australia?

The best way to identify a joint and plastic version in Australia is to check the packaging or label for any indications that the product is made from plastic. Additionally, you can look for any visible joints or seams on the product which may suggest that it is a joint and plastic version.

2. What are the main differences between a joint and plastic version and other versions?

The main difference between a joint and plastic version and other versions is the material used to make the product. A joint and plastic version will typically be made from plastic, while other versions may be made from different materials such as metal or wood.

3. Are there any benefits to using a joint and plastic version?

Yes, there are several benefits to using a joint and plastic version. These include being lightweight, durable, and resistant to corrosion. They are also often more affordable than other versions and can be easily molded into different shapes and sizes.

4. Can I recycle a joint and plastic version in Australia?

Yes, most joint and plastic versions can be recycled in Australia. However, it is important to check with your local recycling program to ensure that they accept this type of plastic. If not, you can also look for specialized recycling facilities that accept plastic products.

5. Are there any safety concerns with using a joint and plastic version?

Generally, there are no major safety concerns with using a joint and plastic version. However, it is important to ensure that the product is made from high-quality materials and does not contain any harmful chemicals. It is also important to follow any safety guidelines provided by the manufacturer when using the product.