Identifying a Bright Celestial Object in FL, USA - Eraniamayomii

• Thread starter Eraniamayomii
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Star
In summary: I started. Keep in mind that the planets move year to year, once you have learned the constellations you can watch the planets move across the sky.
Eraniamayomii
I have always been facinated with the stars. I have never been actually able to identify them though. I guess I hadn't much care considering they all look quite similar to the naked eye.

Today I was outside looking at the stars, and though there were a number of stars out there, the house lights made the majority of them look dim. One star did stand out though, and this was pretty bright.

The star was facing South about 38 degrees off the horizon at 10pm EST. This is relative to FL, USA. It cannot be the North star becasue it is in the South, and it cannot be venus becasue Venus isn't underneath the Earth... It had an intensely high magnitude. It didn't twinkle, and just to make sure its not a satalite, I'll check on it's position in a bit.

Can anyone please help me to identify this bright celestial object? Maby step out on your decks, and take a look?

Love,

Eraniamayomii

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Ok. Just checked, and it's gone. There are clouds out now though, so I'm not sure if they just covered it up, or if it was a satalite and flew away... It's been about an hour since I last viewed it.

Satelites are generally moving (geostationary sats are too faint)
Saturn is visible at the moment. Check out http://www.nightskyinfo.com/

What you are describing is probably Jupiter. It is a magnificent sight, isn't it?
If you look at it in some binocs you might just be able to make out the 4 visible moons all lined up.

Check it out in a telescope if you can and you will see several dark bands across the disc of the planet.

mgb_phys said:
Satelites are generally moving (geostationary sats are too faint)
Saturn is visible at the moment. Check out http://www.nightskyinfo.com/

Saturn is visible just after sundown (looking due west) for only an hour or so this time of year.

It's probably Jupiter. Now, Jupiter is the brightest in the sky (except for Venus), and it tends to the south.

Oh, ok. That explains it. Thanks!

The best way to learn the stars is to start with a naked eye astronomy book and begin to learn the constellations. When you have identified a constellation you can then find the names of the individual stars.

Keep in mind that the planets move year to year, once you have learned the constellations you can watch the planets move across the sky.

chemisttree said:
What you are describing is probably Jupiter. It is a magnificent sight, isn't it?
Yes, it is almost certain to be Jupiter. Jupiter is about 40 degrees up at sunset, in the south (viewed from the US) and is brighter than anything else in the sky except Venus (which isn't up right now).

Saturn is not very bright and you wouldn't notice it without someone pointing it out to you.

Related to Identifying a Bright Celestial Object in FL, USA - Eraniamayomii

1. What is the best time of year to view bright celestial objects in Florida?

The best time of year to view bright celestial objects in Florida is during the winter months, from November to March. This is because the air is typically drier and clearer, providing better visibility for stargazing.

2. How can I identify a bright celestial object in Florida?

To identify a bright celestial object in Florida, you can use a star chart or a stargazing app on your phone. These tools will help you locate the object in the night sky and provide information about its name, location, and other interesting facts.

3. Is light pollution a concern when trying to view bright celestial objects in Florida?

Yes, light pollution can be a concern when trying to view bright celestial objects in Florida. It is best to find a location that is away from city lights and has a clear view of the sky to minimize the effects of light pollution.

4. Are there any specific techniques I should use when viewing bright celestial objects in Florida?

One technique you can use when viewing bright celestial objects in Florida is to use a telescope or binoculars. These tools can help magnify the object and provide a clearer view. It is also helpful to give your eyes time to adjust to the dark before looking at the object.

5. Are there any special events or astronomical phenomena that I should keep an eye out for in Florida?

Yes, there are several special events and astronomical phenomena that you can keep an eye out for in Florida. Some examples include meteor showers, eclipses, and planetary alignments. You can check online for a list of upcoming events and plan your stargazing accordingly.