Identical Particles in a 1-D Harmonic Oscillator

In summary, the three particles in a 1-D harmonic oscillator can have the following energy levels: (a) one particle in the ground state with degeneracy 3(b) two particles in the ground state with degeneracy 2(c) three particles in the ground state with degeneracy 1
logic smogic
[SOLVED] Identical Particles in a 1-D Harmonic Oscillator

Homework Statement

Three particles are confined in a 1-D harmonic oscillator potential. Determine the energy and the degeneracy of the ground state for the following three cases.

(a) The particles are identical bosons (say, spin 0).
(b) The particles are identical fermions (say, spin 1/2).
(c) The particles are distinguishable spin 1/2 particles but have the same mass (e.g. a proton and a neutron).

The Attempt at a Solution

How does this sound...

(a) The energy levels for a single particle in a 1-D harmonic oscillator are given by

[tex]E_{n}=\hbar \omega (n+\frac{1}{2})[/tex]

Since bosons can all occupy the same state, I presume they will. Therefore they will all be in the ground state with degeneracy 3. The energy will just be three times the ground state energy for one particle,

[tex]E_{gnd,tot}=3 \hbar \omega (0+\frac{1}{2}) = \frac{3}{2} \hbar \omega[/tex]

(b) Because of the Pauli Exclusion Principle, more than one fermion cannot occupy the same state. Therefore, there will be two particles in the ground state (one spin-up, one spin-down), and one particle in the first excited state.

Hence, [itex]E_{0}[/itex] has degeneracy 2, and [itex]E_{1}[/itex] has degeneracy 1. The total energy will be,

[tex]E_{gnd,tot}=2 \hbar \omega (0+\frac{1}{2}) + \hbar \omega (1+\frac{1}{2}) = \frac{5}{2} \hbar \omega[/tex]

(c) I have no idea. They behave like two bosons since they're distinguishable?

Physics news on Phys.org
Would you really say having three identical bosons in the ground state was threefold degenerate? I wouldn't. They are indistinguishable. Rethink your degeneracy numbers. For c) fermi exclusion only applies between identical particles. You have two of one type and one of the other.

Dick said:
Would you really say having three identical bosons in the ground state was threefold degenerate? I wouldn't. They are indistinguishable. Rethink your degeneracy numbers. For c) fermi exclusion only applies between identical particles. You have two of one type and one of the other.

a.) Oh, I think I see. I was thinking of degeneracy wrong? It refers to the number of possible states with a particular energy, not the number of particles occupying a specific energy level, right? How would I go about determining the degeneracy of a system like this? (of course, I'll do the work - I'm just not sure what I'm supposed to do..)

c.) Well, presumably all three are distinguishable (say an electron, proton, and neutron). So I treat them as three noninteracting particles in a harmonic oscillator?

For a) I would say the degeneracy is 1. There's only one ground state possibility. For c), yes, I think all three distinguishable. How many different ground states (think spin)? Also rethink b).

So (a) is one since they will all be in the same state. But (c) will be [itex]E_{0}[/itex] has degeneracy 2, since they will each be in the ground state, but each can either be up or down (or since the Hamiltonian is just a superposition of the different individual particles Hamiltonians, is it (3!=6)?).

As for (b), I'm changing my answer to [itex]E_{0}[/itex] has degeneracy 2 and [itex]E_{1}[/itex] has degeneracy 2 (both can be occupied, and both have spin-up, spin-down options).

PS And thanks Dick! This is really instructive.

Think about b) again. You don't count degeneracies for each level and add them! You have to figure out how many different versions of the ground state there are. The E0 state will have two opposite spin fermions. There's only one way to do that! For c), I think you have the right picture but 3 particles with a choice of up/down does NOT give you 3! possibilities.

Wow, Logic Smogic, I had this same exact question on my final yesterday, the 13th. I wish I had seen this post beforehand. You don't happen to attend UPenn, do you? I think you'd make the ultimate study partner.

Related to Identical Particles in a 1-D Harmonic Oscillator

1. What is a 1-D harmonic oscillator?

A 1-D harmonic oscillator is a theoretical model that describes the motion of a particle in one dimension, under the influence of a restoring force that is proportional to its displacement from equilibrium. It is often used to study the behavior of atoms, molecules, and other small particles.

2. What are identical particles in a 1-D harmonic oscillator?

In this context, identical particles refer to a group of particles that have the same mass, charge, and other physical properties, and are confined to the same 1-D harmonic oscillator potential. This simplifies the system and allows for easier analysis of their behavior.

3. How do identical particles behave in a 1-D harmonic oscillator?

Identical particles in a 1-D harmonic oscillator exhibit quantized energy levels and behave according to the laws of quantum mechanics. This means that their motion is described by wave functions and their energy levels are discrete rather than continuous. They also exhibit properties such as indistinguishability and exchange symmetry.

4. What is the significance of identical particles in a 1-D harmonic oscillator?

Identical particles in a 1-D harmonic oscillator are important in understanding the behavior of many physical systems, such as atoms, molecules, and solids. They also have applications in quantum computing and information processing. Additionally, studying identical particles can provide insights into fundamental principles of quantum mechanics, such as the Pauli exclusion principle.

5. How are identical particles in a 1-D harmonic oscillator different from non-identical particles?

The main difference between identical and non-identical particles in a 1-D harmonic oscillator is that identical particles exhibit quantum effects, while non-identical particles do not. Additionally, identical particles have symmetric or antisymmetric wave functions, while non-identical particles can have any type of wave function. In terms of behavior, identical particles are subject to the Pauli exclusion principle, while non-identical particles are not.