Identical bulbs, order them brightest to dimmest

• Thread starter kamhogo
  • Start date
In summary, when connecting resistors in series, the current through each resistor must flow through the other. When connecting resistors in parallel, the current through each resistor is the same. >
kamhogo

Homework Statement

There are 5 identical bulbs. All are glowing. Rank from brightest to dimmest. Some may be equal.

Homework Equations

I= (ΔV)/R
Req = [(1/R1)+ (1/R2) +...]^-1 (Parallel resistors; same delta V)
Req = R1 + R2 + ... ( Series resistors; same current I)

The Attempt at a Solution

Let all the bulbs have resistance R.

A. Combine bulbs R and S ( parallel, same ΔV)
Req = [(1/R)+(1/R)]^-1 = R/2

B. Combine R&S with P and T ( series, same I )
Req = (R/2) + R + R = 2.5 R

C. Combine (R&S, P, T) with Q ( Parallel, same ΔV)
Req = [(1/R)+(1/2.5R)]^-1 = 0.71R
ΔV = ε- - > I = ε/Req = 1.4ε/R

Now decompose to find individual currents:

A. R(Q) = R; ΔV = ε --> I(Q) = ε/R

R(R&S, P, T) = 2.5R --> I (R&S, P, T) = 0.4ε/R
I (P) = I (T) = 0.4ε/R

R(R&S)= R/2
ΔV (R&S) =( 0.4ε/R)*(R/2)= 0.2 ε
ΔV (R) = ΔV (S) = 0.2ε
R (S) = R (R) = R
I (S) = I ( R) = 0.2ε/R

⇒Q >P=T >S =R

This is incorrect t and I'd like to know what I did wrong. thanks in advance for any help.
tmp_4735-20160401_072217-639066610.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
kamhogo said:
B. Combine R&S with P and T ( series, same I )
Req = (R/2) + R + R = 2.5 R
They are not in series. What about Q?

You can see that the power consumed is proportional to the square of current through the bulbs, since all have the same resistance. From this logic, the brightest one will have maximum current. Which one do you think will have maximum current, by observation? Which bulbs can you say will glow with equal brightness, just by observation? It is not necessary to find the equivalent resistance of the entire circuit. All you need to do is apply current division principle properly in your mind. For the dimmest bulb(s), you need a little bit simplified circuit.

Last edited:
cnh1995 said:
You can see that the power consumed is proportional to the square of current through the bulbs, since all have the same resistance. From this logic, the brightest one will have maximum current. Which one do you think will have maximum current, by observation? Which bulbs can you say will glow with equal brightness, just by observation? It is not necessary to find the equivalent resistance of the entire circuit. All you need to do is apply current division principle properly in your mind. For the dimmest bulb(s), you need a little bit simplified circuit.
Just by observation, I'd say P will be the brightest and R and S will have the same brightness.

kamhogo said:
Just by observation, I'd say P will be the brightest and R and S will have the same brightness.
Correct!

cnh1995 said:
They are not in series. What about Q?
Q seems to be in series with (RS)...Right? (Connected end to end).

kamhogo said:
uploadfromtaptalk1459540213304.jpg

kamhogo said:
No, it's not as simple as that. Some current can bypass Q yet flow through R.
Your diagram with the collapse of R and S into one resistor is wrong. There should not be a direct link from T to P.

haruspex said:
No, it's not as simple as that. Some current can bypass Q yet flow through R.
Your diagram with the collapse of R and S into one resistor is wrong. There should not be a direct link from T to P.
uploadfromtaptalk1459542981023.jpg

Is this diagram correct? Then P would be in series with Q and (RS) would be on series with T...?

kamhogo said:
View attachment 98345
Is this diagram correct? Then P would be in series with Q and (RS) would be on series with T...?
Take it one step at a time. At each step, you can combine resistors:
- as being in series if connected end to end and all the current that flows through one must flow through the other
- as being parallel if connected at each end
RS is certainly in series with T, so combine those. What next?

haruspex said:
Take it one step at a time. At each step, you can combine resistors:
- as being in series if connected end to end and all the current that flows through one must flow through the other
- as being parallel if connected at each end
RS is certainly in series with T, so combine those. What next?
Then I combine (RST) with Q (parallel).
Then I combine (RSTQ) with P ( series)...Correct?
uploadfromtaptalk1459547218067.jpg

kamhogo said:
Then I combine (RST) with Q (parallel).
Then I combine (RSTQ) with P ( series)...Correct? View attachment 98349
Yes.

haruspex said:
Yes.
Thank you so much!

< Mentor Note -- @cnh1995 is posting a clarifying post here to be sure that the OP understands what a clean solution is, after the OP has said they have solved the problem. >

Screenshot_2016-04-01-18-29-22.png

Here's how it will look like...
Asuming the resistance of each bulb is r,
P is the brightest. R and S have same brightness. Current through T is sum of currents through R and S, hence, T will be brighter than R and S. R||S in series with T give a resistance of 3r/2. This 3r/2 is in parallel with Q( resistance r). Since Q<3r/2, current through Q is more than that through 3R/2 i.e current through T.
Hence,
P>Q>T>R=S.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes kamhogo

Related to Identical bulbs, order them brightest to dimmest

1. Which factor determines the brightness of a bulb?

The wattage of a bulb is the main factor that determines its brightness. The higher the wattage, the brighter the bulb will be.

2. Can identical bulbs have different brightness levels?

No, identical bulbs should have the same brightness level if they have the same wattage. However, factors like a bulb's age and the type of fixture it is placed in can affect its perceived brightness.

3. Is there a specific order in which identical bulbs should be placed to achieve different levels of brightness?

Yes, the order of the bulbs can affect the overall brightness in a room. Placing the brightest bulb in the center and the dimmest bulbs on the outer edges can create a more balanced and evenly distributed level of brightness.

4. How can I make a bulb appear brighter without changing its wattage?

There are a few ways to make a bulb appear brighter without changing its wattage. You can clean the bulb and its fixture to remove any dust or grime that may be blocking the light. You can also use a white or reflective lampshade to maximize the light output.

5. Can the type of light bulb affect its brightness?

Yes, the type of light bulb can affect its brightness. LED bulbs are typically brighter than incandescent bulbs with the same wattage. Additionally, LED bulbs produce a more focused and directional light compared to the more diffused light of incandescent bulbs.