Ideas for an experimental physics project

In summary: Very true. I'm sorry, I'm not an experimentalist. We have a workshop available to us which has quite an array of tools in it, and other than that we are just given $1000 for needed supplies and materials. Is that more what you wanted to know?
Dishsoap
Next semester I will be taking Experimental Physics II. The gist of the class isn't to do an experiment per se, but to build a device which could be used in an experiment in Experimental Physics I. In the past, students have built things like an inverted pendulum, a magnetic pendulum, and a magnetometer.

I'll need to come up with an idea soon so I can apply for the $1k grant. I have two ideas so far; one is a bubble chamber, and one is a Stirling engine. The former sounds much more interesting to me and maybe better for someone who isn't an engineering type (I'm majoring in computer physics, and would like to go to grad school for particle physics).

Anywho, does anyone have any other ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
samnorris93 said:
to build a device which could be used in an experiment in Experimental Physics I.

I suggest that you reveal the topics covered in Experimental Physics I.

Stephen Tashi said:
I suggest that you reveal the topics covered in Experimental Physics I.

In EPI, there is no lecture or anything. We just do various experiments and write lab reports about them. We do the Millikan Oil Drop experiment, one with the Kater Pendulum, one with magnetic torque, and one concerning Faraday rotation, and one with the stochastic nature of radiation. There really is quite a wide spread, I'm "only limited by my imagination".

samnorris93 said:
In EPI, there is no lecture or anything. We just do various experiments and write lab reports about them. We do the Millikan Oil Drop experiment, one with the Kater Pendulum, one with magnetic torque, and one concerning Faraday rotation, and one with the stochastic nature of radiation. There really is quite a wide spread, I'm "only limited by my imagination".

That is not really true. You are limited by the resources that are available to you, which you have not clearly described.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
That is not really true. You are limited by the resources that are available to you, which you have not clearly described.

Zz.

Very true. I'm sorry, I'm not an experimentalist. We have a workshop available to us which has quite an array of tools in it, and other than that we are just given $1000 for needed supplies and materials. Is that more what you wanted to know?

Related to Ideas for an experimental physics project

1. What is experimental physics?

Experimental physics is a branch of physics that involves conducting experiments to test theories and hypotheses, and to gather data and evidence to support scientific understanding of the natural world.

2. How do I come up with ideas for an experimental physics project?

There are several ways to come up with ideas for an experimental physics project. You can start by identifying a topic or area of interest within physics, and then conduct research to see what experiments have already been done in that area. You can also consult with your peers, teachers, or mentors for suggestions and inspiration. Additionally, you can look for current challenges or unanswered questions in the field of physics and design an experiment to address them.

3. What factors should I consider when choosing a project idea?

When choosing a project idea for experimental physics, it is important to consider the feasibility of the experiment, the availability of resources and equipment, and the potential impact or contribution to the field. It is also helpful to choose a topic that aligns with your interests and strengths, as this will make the project more enjoyable and successful.

4. Do I need to have a specific hypothesis or prediction for my experiment?

While having a hypothesis or prediction can be beneficial for an experimental physics project, it is not always necessary. Some experiments may be exploratory in nature, where the goal is to gather data and observe patterns or phenomena. However, having a clear research question or goal is important for any experiment.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when designing an experimental physics project?

Some common mistakes to avoid when designing an experimental physics project include not thoroughly understanding the principles and theories behind the experiment, not properly controlling variables, and not accurately recording and analyzing data. It is also important to consider safety precautions and ethical considerations when planning the experiment. Consulting with a mentor or experienced scientist can help avoid these mistakes.