Interesting quote from a book by Einstein

In summary, in an appendix added in 1952 to his book "Relativity: The Special and the General Theory," Einstein discusses the concept of space-time and its relation to the gravitational field. He argues that in the context of his unified field theory, space-time is not an independent entity but rather a structural quality of the field. This perspective challenges the traditional dualist view of space-time and highlights the importance of understanding the interplay between various physical fields.
marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Something Einstein wrote in 1952 contains this quote

"Space-time does not claim existence on its own, but only as a structural quality of the field."

It is not especially easy to grasp the meaning, I suspect, but it might be worth thinking about. Eh quoted this in another PF thread and I was able to find an online reference in this Usenet post, which gives more context:

> However, I consider the ultimate words of Einstein on this matter
> to be the fifth appendix, added in 1952 (three years before his
> death), to the fifteenth edition of his book "Relativity: The
> Special and the General Theory." In that appendix, titled
> "Relativity and the Problem of Space," Einstein explicitly
> addresses the issue in question here. (Note that in the following
> "type (1)" space is Minkowski space.)>
> "If we imagine the gravitational field, i.e., the
> functions g_ik, to be removed, there does not remain a
> space of the type (I), but absolutely _nothing_, and
> also no 'topological space'. For the functions g_ik
> describe not only the field, but at the same time also
> the topological and and metrical structural properties
> of the manifold. A space of type (I), judged from the
> standpoint of the general theory of relativity, is not
> a space without field, but a special case of the g_ik
> field, for which -- for the coordinate system used,
> which in itself has no objective significance -- the
> functions g_ik have values that do not depend on the
> co-ordinates. There is no such thing as an empty space,
> i.e., a space without field. Space-time does not claim
> existence on its own, but only as a structural quality of the field"

The Usenet post by Paul Stewart is archived at
http://www.lns.cornell.edu/spr/2003-07/msg0052723.html

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Space-time has its existence on gik, your right something worth thinking about, why is this?

Originally posted by Turtle
Space-time has its existence on gik, your right something worth thinking about, why is this?

I have to go, before parking downtown gets too bad, but will be back.

I won't be able to answer your question anyway

I have found Rovelli's book (the philosophical parts) helpful

http://www.cpt.univ-mrs.fr/~rovelli

the link to the book "Quantum Gravity" he is writing is
down at the bottom of the page

I'm thinking of the example on page 40,41 of the two stars
one is rotating and one is not
with respect to what? are they rotating and not rotating.

and his example of the expanding cloud of galaxies

the bewilderment about space and time goes way back and
he is both a physicist and a science-historian
so he brings a certain amount of perspective to it

but other people may have found other discussions of the same problems that they prefer

i will get back to this later today

Last edited:
Originally posted by marcus
Something Einstein wrote in 1952 contains this quote

"Space-time does not claim existence on its own, but only as a structural quality of the field."

This final development in einstein's view of the ontological status of spacetime was a direct result of his research on the "unified field theory": If the metric component fields gμν transform into and out of other substantial physical fields, as claimed by UFT, than a dualist view of physical reality in terms of an autonomous spacetime must give way to a purely relationalist view, even though absolute motions may still be defined which are not relative to absolute spacetime, but to the spacetime constituted by the totality of physical fields (rather than by some of them).

The original book was written in a german language. Space-time is in my language "rymdtid". He want's to say:
Time in space does not claim existence on its own,
but only as a structural quality of the field or the net.

1. What is the context of the quote by Einstein?

The quote is from Einstein's book, "Relativity: The Special and General Theory", which was published in 1916. In this book, Einstein explains his theory of relativity and its implications for our understanding of space, time, and gravity.

2. What is the meaning of the quote?

The quote, "The important thing is to not stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing," emphasizes the importance of curiosity and questioning in the pursuit of knowledge and understanding. Einstein believed that curiosity is a fundamental part of human nature and should be nurtured and encouraged.

3. How does this quote reflect Einstein's views on science?

Einstein was a strong advocate for scientific inquiry and believed that questioning and curiosity were essential for scientific progress. He believed that science should not be limited by traditional beliefs and theories, but rather should always be open to new ideas and perspectives.

4. What is the significance of this quote in the scientific community?

This quote is often cited as a reminder of the importance of curiosity and questioning in scientific research. It serves as a reminder that the pursuit of knowledge should not be limited by preconceived notions or traditional beliefs, but rather should be driven by a desire to continuously learn and discover.

5. How does this quote relate to Einstein's overall legacy?

The quote exemplifies Einstein's philosophy and approach to science, which has had a lasting impact on the scientific community. His emphasis on curiosity and questioning has inspired generations of scientists to push the boundaries of knowledge and think outside the box.