Ideals in Q[x, y] .... Cox, Little and O'Shea, Chapter 1 Section 4

• MHB
  • Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Section
In summary, Peter is seeking help with Exercise 3c in Chapter 1, Section 4 of the book "Ideals, Varieties and Algorithms: An Introduction to Computational Algebraic Geometry and Commutative Algebra (Third Edition)" by David Cox, John Little, and Donal O'Shea. The exercise involves showing that two ideals contain each other by proving that their generators are elements of the other ideal. With the help of GJA, Peter was able to solve the problem and expresses his gratitude.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading the undergraduate introduction to algebraic geometry entitled "Ideals, Varieties and Algorithms: An introduction to Computational Algebraic Geometry and Commutative Algebra (Third Edition) by David Cox, John Little and Donal O'Shea ... ...

I am currently focused on Chapter 1, Section 4: Ideals ... ... and need help with Exercise 3(c) which reads as follows:
View attachment 5672I would be grateful if someone could help me with Exercise 3c ...

Help will be appreciated ... ...

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Peter,

Peter said:
I would be grateful if someone could help me with Exercise 3c ...

We want to show that each ideal contains the other, and, according to Problem 2, it suffices to show that the generators of one ideal are elements of the other ideal. With this in mind, try writing $x^2 - 4$ and $y^2 -1$ as elements of $\langle 2x^2 + 3y^2 -11, x^2 - y^2 -3\rangle$, which will prove $\langle x^2 - 4, y^2 - 1\rangle \subseteq \langle 2x^2 + 3y^2 -11, x^2 - y^2 -3\rangle.$ Then do the analogous thing to prove the opposite containment.

Let me know if you have any questions. Good luck!

GJA said:
Hi Peter,
We want to show that each ideal contains the other, and, according to Problem 2, it suffices to show that the generators of one ideal are elements of the other ideal. With this in mind, try writing $x^2 - 4$ and $y^2 -1$ as elements of $\langle 2x^2 + 3y^2 -11, x^2 - y^2 -3\rangle$, which will prove $\langle x^2 - 4, y^2 - 1\rangle \subseteq \langle 2x^2 + 3y^2 -11, x^2 - y^2 -3\rangle.$ Then do the analogous thing to prove the opposite containment.

Let me know if you have any questions. Good luck!
Thanks GJA ...

That bit of help and encouragement enabled me to solve the problem ...

... thanks again ...

Peter

Related to Ideals in Q[x, y] .... Cox, Little and O'Shea, Chapter 1 Section 4

What are ideals in Q[x, y]?

Ideals in Q[x,y] are subsets of the polynomial ring Q[x,y] that satisfy certain properties. They are similar to the concept of ideals in a ring, but with the added restriction that all coefficients must be rational numbers.

How are ideals in Q[x, y] different from ideals in other rings?

As mentioned, the main difference is the restriction on coefficients being rational numbers. Another difference is that in Q[x,y], every ideal is generated by a single polynomial, whereas in other rings this may not be the case.

What is the significance of studying ideals in Q[x, y]?

Ideals in Q[x,y] have important applications in algebraic geometry, number theory, and cryptography. They also provide a useful tool for studying the structure of polynomial rings.

What is the relationship between ideals and zero sets?

In Q[x,y], an ideal corresponds to the set of points in the x-y plane where all polynomials in the ideal evaluate to zero. This is known as the zero set of the ideal. Conversely, any set of points in the plane can be used to define an ideal.

How are ideals in Q[x, y] used in solving systems of polynomial equations?

Ideals in Q[x,y] can be used to represent a system of polynomial equations, and the solutions to this system correspond to the zero set of the ideal. By studying the structure of the ideal, we can gain insight into the solutions of the system.