Ideals and Varieties, Rational Normal Cone

In summary: V(I). To show the reverse inclusion, i.e. V(I) \subseteq \phi(\mathbb{C}^2), we can use a similar approach. For any point (x0, x1, x2, x3) in V(I), we need to show that there exist values (s, t) in \mathbb{C}^2 such that x0 = s^3, x1 = s^2t, x2 = st^2, and x3 = t^3. To do this, we can use the parametrization given by \phi(s, t). By setting x0 = s^3, x1 =
oblixps
I have the ideal I = <f1, f2, f3>, where f1 = x0x2-x12, f2 = x0x3 - x2x1, f3 = x1x3 - x22.
I also have the parametrization of some surface given by [tex] \phi: \mathbb{C}^2 \rightarrow \mathbb{C}^4 [/tex] defined by [tex] \phi(s, t) = (s^3, s^2t, st^2, t^3) = (x_0, x_1, x_2, x_3) [/tex].

I want to show that [tex] V(I) = \phi(\mathbb{C}^2) [/tex] and I(V) = I = <f1, f2, f3>.

I can show that [tex] \phi(\mathbb{C}^2) \subseteq V(I) [/tex] but I can't figure out a way to show the reverse inclusion.

Similarly, I see that <f1, f2, f3> is contained in I(V), but I can't figure out how to show the reverse inclusion either.

Can someone give me some hints on how to proceed in these directions?

Physics news on Phys.org

Sure, I can definitely provide some guidance on how to proceed in these directions.

First, let's recall the definitions of V(I) and I(V):

- V(I) is the set of all points in the complex plane that satisfy all the equations in the ideal I. In this case, since I = <f1, f2, f3>, V(I) is the set of all points (x0, x1, x2, x3) that satisfy the equations f1 = 0, f2 = 0, and f3 = 0.

- I(V) is the ideal of all polynomials that vanish on the set V. In this case, since V = \phi(\mathbb{C}^2), I(V) is the set of all polynomials that vanish on the surface defined by \phi(s, t).

Now, to show that \phi(\mathbb{C}^2) \subseteq V(I), we need to show that for any point (s, t) in \mathbb{C}^2, the corresponding point (s^3, s^2t, st^2, t^3) satisfies the equations f1 = 0, f2 = 0, and f3 = 0.

To do this, we can simply plug in the values of x0, x1, x2, x3 into the equations f1, f2, and f3 and show that they all equal 0. For example, let's look at f1:

f1 = x0x2 - x1^2 = (s^3)(st^2) - (s^2t)^2 = s^5t^2 - s^4t^2 = s^2t^2(s^3 - s^2) = 0

Similarly, you can show that f2 and f3 also equal 0 when we plug in the values of x0, x1, x2, x3. Therefore, we have shown that for any point (s, t) in \mathbb{C}^2, the corresponding point (s^3, s^2t, st^2, t^3) satisfies the equations f1 = 0, f2 = 0, and f3 = 0, which means that \phi(\mathbb{C}^

Related to Ideals and Varieties, Rational Normal Cone

What is the concept of ideals and varieties?

Ideals and varieties are fundamental concepts in algebraic geometry that study the relationship between algebraic equations and geometric objects. An ideal is a set of polynomials that vanish at a certain point or on a certain curve, while a variety is a geometric object defined by these polynomials.

What is a rational normal cone?

A rational normal cone is a geometric object that can be associated with a given variety. It is the cone over the variety, and its points represent the tangent directions at a given point on the variety. It is a useful tool in studying the local behavior of a variety.

How is the rational normal cone related to ideals and varieties?

The rational normal cone can be seen as the limiting behavior of a sequence of varieties that converge to a given variety. It can also be described in terms of the ideal of the variety and its local ring. In general, the rational normal cone provides important information about the geometry of a variety.

What is the significance of rational normal cones in algebraic geometry?

Rational normal cones have several important applications in algebraic geometry. They are used to study the singularities of a variety, to define the notion of tangent cones, and to understand the local behavior of a variety. They are also useful in proving theorems about the geometry of a variety.

How are rational normal cones computed?

Computing rational normal cones can be a difficult task, as it involves understanding the defining equations of the variety and its local ring. However, there are algorithms and techniques that can be used to compute rational normal cones, such as the method of border bases or the use of Gröbner bases.