Ideal Op Amp HW: KCL, V/R, V+ = V-

• Thread starter CoolDude420
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Op-amp
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of KCL and ideal op amps in solving a circuit problem. The KCL equation is used to find the values of the currents and the voltage at the negative terminal of the op amp is taken into account when calculating the currents for Ia and Ib. The final output voltage is determined by the voltage drop through the feedback resistor and any necessary additional output current is supplied through the load resistor. The conversation also addresses some common issues with understanding voltages in op-amp related circuits.
CoolDude420

Homework Statement

f89f253e8d.jpg

Homework Equations

[/B]
KCL
I = V/R
V+ = V- (ideal op amp)

The Attempt at a Solution

d620e6cb77.jpg

[/B]
I really don't think my voltages for ia and ib are correct. I am just not sure how to use the V- = 4V in those some how?

Physics news on Phys.org
The ## V_- ## terminal is equal to ## V_+=+4V ##. The three current sources feed into (or draw current from) the feedback resistor and feed through the feedback resistor. No current goes across the infinite input impedance. The output voltage is determined by the voltage drop through the feedback resistor. Any necessary additional output current out of the op-amp will be supplied through the load resistor (or extra current from the feedback resistor will go into the output pin) to make the voltage drop across the load resistor equal the voltage drop from the output pin of the op-amp to ground. (The output pin of the op-amp has its voltage determined by the ## V_- ## virtual ground and the feedback loop, and can supply extra current to the load resistor freely as needed, with basically an infinite supply.) ## \\ ## Note: Your equation should read ## i_d=i_a+i_b+i_c ##. (## i_b ## and ## i_c ## are both negative but the equation still reads how I just gave it.)

Last edited:
Charles Link said:
The ## V_- ## terminal is equal to ## V_+=+4V ##. The three current sources feed into (or draw current from) the feedback resistor and feed through the feedback resistor. No current goes across the infinite input impedance. The output voltage is determined by the voltage drop through the feedback resistor. Any necessary additional output current out of the op-amp will be supplied through the load resistor (or extra current from the feedback resistor will go into the output pin) to make the voltage drop across the load resistor equal the voltage drop from the output pin of the op-amp to ground. (The output pin of the op-amp has its voltage determined by the ## V_- ## virtual ground and the feedback loop, and can supply extra current to the load resistor freely as needed, with basically an infinite supply.) ## \\ ## Note: Your equation should read ## i_d=i_a+i_b+i_c ##. (## i_b ## and ## i_c ## are both negative but the equation still reads how I just gave it.)

Hm. I understand the KCL equation you gave. At the moment my issue is relating to filling in that KCL equation with values.

id = ia +ib + ic

Ia = 16/16000? Is that correct? My question is do I have to take the V- into account when calculating the currents for Ia and Ib. I know I have to use it for Ic.
I keep having trouble with voltages in op-amps related circuits. I've tried going over them and reviewing KCL and the basics but there's always a different sort of "trick" in each question with voltages.

Meanwhile to compute ## i_c ##, ## i_c=(-5-4)V/(12 \, k \Omega)=-.75 mA ##. The others should be easy to compute in a similar manner. And yes, you need to use the ## V_-=4V ## in those as well. Note: ## i_d ## should be fairly easy to compute. Once you have that, you can determine ## V_o ##.

Last edited:
Charles Link said:
Meanwhile to compute ## i_c ##, ## i_c=(-5-4)V/(12 \, k \Omega)=-.75 mA ##. The others should be easy to compute in a similar manner. And yes, you need to use the ## V_-=4V ## in those as well.

Is this correct?

70b13cc839.jpg

One more question. In calculating ia and ib, my intuition tells me that it should be (16V - Voltage at A)/16000 and (2V- Voltage at A)/8000. However we are using -4V instead. Is the entire vertical line which contains A a single node? If so shouldn't the node voltage at A be 4V as well?

This is what my intuition tells me: V = eb - ea for the voltage across 16k resistor
89199d99c4.jpg

You could say ## i_d=-.25 mA ##, but yes your -1/4000 is correct. What do you get for ## V_o ##? (That should be easy to get.) Your -6V voltage drop is correct. Suggest you write out the algebraic result to solve for ## V_o ##. If you consider ## V_o ## as generating a positive +.25mA current back through the feedback resistor, it might be easier to compute.

Charles Link said:
You could say ## i_d=-.25 mA ##, but yes your -1/4000 is correct. What do you get for ## V_o ##? (That should be easy to get.)

I think you apply current division to get V0:

e9721f3169.png
= current through 12k resistor.
That turns out to be -1/6000.

V = IR
V = (-1/6000) x (12000)
V = -2V

which.. isn't the right answer. The answer given to us is 10V

The full algebra is ## 4-V_o=-6 ##. Thereby ## V_o=10 \, V ##. Alternatively, you could write ## V_o-(.25mA)(24k \Omega)=4V ##

Charles Link said:
The full algebra is ## 4-V_o=-6 ##. Thereby ## V_o=10 \, V ##.
Where are you getting the 4 from?

## 4V=V_- ## which is also point "A". Your diagram is probably confusing you slightly, but these 3 currents(considering them as positive) feed into ## V_- ## And they can't go inside the op-amp because the input impedance is infinite. The current has nowhere else to go but through the feedback resistor.

Charles Link said:
## 4V=V_- ## which is also point "A".

Ah so the 4V at point A plus the 6V drop across the 24k resistor gives 10V node voltage at the point to the right of i0. And that 10V is between The 13k resistor and ground so 10v across that resistor.

Perfect. I got the right answer for part b too. Awesome. thank you so much!

Likes Charles Link

Related to Ideal Op Amp HW: KCL, V/R, V+ = V-

1. What is an ideal op amp?

An ideal op amp is a theoretical electronic component that has infinite input impedance, zero output impedance, and infinite open-loop gain. It also has infinite bandwidth and zero offset voltage, making it an ideal amplifier for many applications.

2. What is KCL and how is it related to ideal op amps?

KCL (Kirchhoff's Current Law) is a fundamental principle in circuit analysis that states the sum of all currents entering a node must equal the sum of all currents leaving the node. Ideal op amps follow this principle and have no current flowing into or out of their inputs.

3. How do I calculate the output voltage of an ideal op amp?

The output voltage of an ideal op amp can be calculated using the voltage divider rule, as the output voltage will be equal to the voltage at the non-inverting input (V+) multiplied by the ratio of the feedback resistor (Rf) to the sum of the feedback resistor and the input resistor (Rin).

4. Why is the inverting input of an ideal op amp connected to ground?

The inverting input of an ideal op amp is typically connected to ground because it has infinite input impedance, meaning that no current will flow into it. This results in the inverting input having the same voltage as the non-inverting input, which is usually connected to a reference voltage or ground.

5. How does the virtual short concept apply to ideal op amps?

The virtual short concept states that the voltage at the inverting and non-inverting inputs of an ideal op amp will be equal. This is because the op amp has infinite open-loop gain, meaning that any difference in voltage between the inputs will be amplified to infinity, resulting in equal voltages at both inputs.