Ideal gases physics help here?

In summary, the problem involves a gas with 4 moles, initially at a temperature of 300 K and pressure of 10 atm. After a change of state with a decrease in temperature of 50 K and an increase in volume of 10 L, the final temperature, volume, and pressure of the gas needs to be calculated. Using the ideal gas law, the final temperature is found to be 250 K and the initial volume is found to be 997.2 L. However, this calculation is incorrect due to using the wrong units for the gas constant. When the correct units are used, the initial volume is found to be 33.9 L.
Questions999

Homework Statement

A moster of a gas has 4 moles and first is in the temperature 300 K and pressure 10 atmosphere.After a change of state, ∆T= -50 K and ∆V=10 liter.Find the final temperature ,volume and pressure of the gas.

Homework Equations

P*v=n*R*T

The Attempt at a Solution

So T2-T1=-50 <=> T2=350-50=300 K
Now,to find V2, I thought : Find V1 first and then do V2-V1=∆V. From pv=nRT where T =300,pressure is 10 and the moles are 4. I Find that V1=997.2 here I replace V2-997.2=10 but V2 isn't the same as in my textbook..what did I do wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
Elaia06 said:
So T2-T1=-50 <=> T2=350-50=300 K
Where did the 350 come from?
From pv=nRT where T =300,pressure is 10 and the moles are 4. I Find that V1=997.2
Seems too much. Please post the details of that calculation.

Sorry,I know it is T2-T1=-50 and here I find that T2=250 Kelvin.

The details pv=nRT , V=(4*8.31*300)/10=997.2 litres..

What are the units of your gas constant R?

R= 8.31 J *K−1 mol−1

SteamKing asked you about the units for the gas constant, because the units are wrong in your calculation of the initial volume.

Since it's best to stick to the units given in the question, use the gas constant
R = 0.08206 L.atm/K.mol

When you're putting numbers into an equation, always include the units and check what they give for the final answer. You can avoid a lot of errors doing this.

Related to Ideal gases physics help here?

What is an ideal gas?

An ideal gas is a theoretical gas composed of particles that have negligible volume and do not interact with each other. This means that there are no intermolecular forces between the particles and they do not take up any space, allowing them to freely move and collide with each other.

What are the properties of an ideal gas?

The properties of an ideal gas include constant temperature, pressure, and volume. This means that the gas follows the ideal gas law, which states that the product of pressure and volume is directly proportional to the number of moles of gas and the absolute temperature.

How do you calculate the pressure of an ideal gas?

The pressure of an ideal gas can be calculated using the ideal gas law: PV = nRT, where P is the pressure, V is the volume, n is the number of moles, R is the ideal gas constant, and T is the absolute temperature. Alternatively, the pressure can be calculated using the formula P = nkT, where k is the Boltzmann constant.

What is Avogadro's law?

Avogadro's law states that at a constant temperature and pressure, equal volumes of different gases will contain the same number of particles. This means that the number of moles of gas is directly proportional to the volume.

How does temperature affect the volume of an ideal gas?

According to Charles's law, the volume of an ideal gas is directly proportional to the absolute temperature, at a constant pressure. This means that as the temperature of the gas increases, its volume will also increase, and vice versa.