Ideal gases do not possess potential energy

In summary: ONG DIFFERENT PHASES,IN SUMMARY, ideal gases do not possess potential energy due to the lack of intermolecular forces, while real gases do have potential energy, with the highest potential energy among different phases being in the gas phase. This is because the molecules of real gases have attractive forces, which require energy to overcome, resulting in a combination of kinetic and potential energy in the gas phase.
seongwei
Is it that ideal gases do not possesses potential energy because there are no intermolecular forces. But, real gases do have potential energy and its potential energy is the highest among the different phases. ( Potential Energy of Gas>Liquid>Solid ). I need someone to make these things clear to me because I'm confused. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
seongwei said:
Is it that ideal gases do not possesses potential energy because there are no intermolecular forces. But, real gases do have potential energy and its potential energy is the highest among the different phases. ( Potential Energy of Gas>Liquid>Solid ). I need someone to make these things clear to me because I'm confused. Thank you.

The molecules of the gas are point particles that do not interact with each other. So it does not take energy for the molecules of an ideal gas to separate from each other. This means that the internal energy consists only of kinetic energy (no potential energy).

Real gases may consist of molecules that have attractive forces. A good example is water vapour. The polar nature of the the water molecules means that water molecules to be attracted to each other. It takes energy just to separate them (from ice → liquid or liquid → gas) without increasing their translational kinetic energies. This means that internal energy consists of both kinetic energy and the energy due to separation (potential energy).

Since the molecules in water vapour have a greater separation than in liquid, vapour has more potential energy than liquid.

AM

Related to Ideal gases do not possess potential energy

What is an ideal gas?

An ideal gas is a theoretical gas that follows the gas laws and has properties such as constant temperature, pressure, and volume.

Why do ideal gases not possess potential energy?

Ideal gases do not possess potential energy because they do not have any intermolecular forces or interactions between particles. Therefore, they do not have any stored energy due to attractive or repulsive forces.

Do real gases possess potential energy?

Yes, real gases possess potential energy because they experience intermolecular forces and interactions between particles. These forces can cause the particles to have potential energy due to attractive or repulsive forces.

What are some examples of ideal gases?

Some examples of ideal gases include helium, neon, and hydrogen at low pressures and temperatures.

How do ideal gases behave under different conditions?

Ideal gases behave differently under different conditions. For example, at high pressures and low temperatures, they may deviate from the ideal gas law and exhibit non-ideal behavior. Additionally, at very low pressures and high temperatures, they may approach ideal gas behavior.