Ideal gas specific heat coefficients

In summary, the individual is looking for coefficients for the ideal gas specific heat at constant pressure for Octane. They have found these coefficients online in a different form and are unsure of the units. They have found values from a hydrocarbons section of a website and are looking for a source to convert or find these coefficients. Another individual suggests using a table from the NIST website and performing a regression to find the coefficients. They also mention that the JANAF standard includes a term proportional to 1/T2, but not a quartic term.
johnsmith456
Hello,

I'm trying to find the coefficients for the ideal gas specific heat at constant pressure in the form:

Cp = a + bT + cT^2 + dT^3 (kJ/kmol.K)

I need to find these coefficients for Octane. I have found them online in a slightly different form..
Cp = a + bT + cT^2 + dT^3 + eT^4
where I think the units are kJ/kg.K, Its not clear on the website.

I get these values from the hydrocarbons section of this site

http://www.cheric.org/kdb/

Does anybody know how to convert, or know a source where I can find these coefficients.

Many thanks guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
For ideal gas the heat capacity is constant.
I suppose you are actually interested in a real gas.
The two "forms" are not different. The second one takes another terms in the power expansion so it is more accurate. I would expect that the coefficient of the T^4 term is (much) smaller than the coefficient of the T^3. So why won't you use the one that goes up to the power 4?

johnsmith456 said:
Hello,

I'm trying to find the coefficients for the ideal gas specific heat at constant pressure in the form:

Cp = a + bT + cT^2 + dT^3 (kJ/kmol.K)

I need to find these coefficients for Octane. I have found them online in a slightly different form..
Cp = a + bT + cT^2 + dT^3 + eT^4
where I think the units are kJ/kg.K, Its not clear on the website.

I get these values from the hydrocarbons section of this site

http://www.cheric.org/kdb/

Does anybody know how to convert, or know a source where I can find these coefficients.

Many thanks guys.

I suggest you grab a table that covers that desired temperature range from the NIST web site, http://webbook.nist.gov/chemistry/fluid/. This database includes octane. Put the data in Excel or R and do a regression to find the coefficients. BTW the JANAF standard for this kind of cp data includes a term proportional to 1/T2, but not a quartic term.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Ideal gas specific heat coefficients

1. What is an ideal gas specific heat coefficient?

An ideal gas specific heat coefficient, also known as a specific heat ratio or adiabatic index, is a measure of the ratio of specific heats at constant pressure and constant volume for an ideal gas. It is denoted by the symbol gamma (γ) and is typically represented by a value between 1 and 2.

2. How is the ideal gas specific heat coefficient calculated?

The ideal gas specific heat coefficient can be calculated using the equation γ = Cp/Cv, where Cp is the specific heat at constant pressure and Cv is the specific heat at constant volume. These values can be found in thermodynamic tables or can be experimentally determined.

3. What is the significance of the ideal gas specific heat coefficient?

The ideal gas specific heat coefficient is important in thermodynamics and fluid mechanics as it helps determine the behavior of gases under different conditions. It is used in calculations involving heat transfer, work, and energy for ideal gases.

4. How does the ideal gas specific heat coefficient differ from real gases?

The ideal gas specific heat coefficient assumes that gases behave ideally, meaning they have no intermolecular forces and occupy no volume. In reality, real gases do have intermolecular forces and occupy some volume, which can affect their specific heat coefficients. This is why real gases have a slightly different specific heat coefficient compared to ideal gases.

5. Does the ideal gas specific heat coefficient change with temperature and pressure?

Yes, the ideal gas specific heat coefficient can change with temperature and pressure. In general, it increases with temperature and decreases with pressure. However, in some cases, it may remain constant or even decrease with temperature. The specific heat coefficient can also vary for different gases and is affected by the gas's molecular structure and composition.