Ideal Gas- molecules applying pressure

In summary, the problem involves calculating the pressure exerted by a large number of nitrogen molecules hitting a wall with a given area and velocity in a specific time period. Using the equations for momentum and force, the pressure is determined to be 17550 Pa. The calculation takes into account elastic collisions and the mass difference between the molecules and the wall.
latitude

Homework Statement

In a period of 1 s, 5 x 10^23 nitrogen molecules strike a wall with an area of 8 cm^2. Assume the molecules move with a speed of 300 m/s and strike the wall head-on in elastic collisions. What is the pressure exerted on the wall? (The mass of one N2 molecule is 4.68 x 10^-26 kg.)

Homework Equations

P = 2/3(N/V)(1/2mo(v^2)avg = F/A = [mo/d(N)(v^2)]/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the moles of N2 (I think this is how you do it, I was never strong in chemistry and haven't taken it in two years...)
n = N/Na = 5 x 10^23/6.022x10^23 = 0.83 moles
I believe n = N/V as well, so...
P = 2/3(n)(1/2mo(v^2)avg
I'm thinking I need to find the average speed... since I have vx, I can do the force one

F = (4.68 x 10^-26)/d(5 x 10^23)(300^2)
So I need to find 'd'...

I'm stuck, I'm not sure whether to try and find 'd' (length of the wall the molecules are hitting), or try and find v.avg (I'm thinking I'd somehow do that with the time interval and the vx value, but I'm not sure how...)

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are off on a chemistry tangent; this is not a chemistry problem. You are given the average speed of the molecules hitting the wall, the number of elastic collisions with the wall during some time period, and the area of the wall. You aren't using this information!

Hint: Try looking at it from a perspective of momentum rather than energy.

Ahh!

So...
(F)deltaT = deltap = movx
F(1) = (4.68 x 10^-26 x 5 x 10^23)(300 m/s)
F = 7.02 N

P = F/A
P = 7.02/0.08 m^2
= 87.75 Pa??

Is this right?? I feel like I'm on a better track now, thanks so much! I'm just afraid that the Force is not correct, my final answer seems shady...

Two things are wrong:
(1) Your force calculation assumes perfectly inelastic collisions. The collisions are elastic.
(2) 8 cm2 is not 0.08 m2.

So...
instead, my force equation should be:
F(deltat) = -2mvx?
Which makes my answer -14.04, except I read in the textbook that the velocity component of an elastic collision is reversed because the mass of the wall is so much greater than the mass of the molecule. I don't quite understand the theory behind that?, but it makes my force positive and my final answer 17550 Pa
Thank you for all of your help!

Related to Ideal Gas- molecules applying pressure

What is an ideal gas?

An ideal gas is a theoretical model of a gas that follows certain assumptions, including that the gas molecules have no volume and do not interact with each other. This model is used to simplify calculations in thermodynamics and is often a good approximation for real gases at low pressures and high temperatures.

How do gas molecules apply pressure?

The pressure of a gas is caused by the constant collisions of gas molecules with each other and with the walls of their container. The more collisions that occur, the higher the pressure of the gas will be.

What factors affect the pressure of an ideal gas?

The pressure of an ideal gas is affected by the number of gas molecules, the volume of the container, and the temperature of the gas. As the number of molecules or the temperature increases, the pressure also increases. However, as the volume increases, the pressure decreases.

How is the pressure of an ideal gas related to its volume and temperature?

According to the ideal gas law, the pressure of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature and inversely proportional to its volume. This means that as the temperature increases, the pressure also increases, but as the volume increases, the pressure decreases.

Can a real gas behave like an ideal gas?

In certain conditions, a real gas can behave similarly to an ideal gas and follow the ideal gas law. However, at high pressures and low temperatures, real gases deviate from ideal gas behavior due to factors such as intermolecular interactions and non-zero molecular volumes.