How Does Compressing an Ideal Gas Affect Its Temperature?

In summary, the problem involves a cylinder with an ideal gas at an initial temperature of 27C, pressure of .5 x 10^5 Pa, and volume of 1.25 m^3. The gas is compressed to a final volume of .8 m^3 and the pressure increases to .82 x 10^5 Pa. Using the equation P1V1/T1=P2V2/T2, the final temperature is found to be 15C higher than the initial temperature, when using absolute temperatures (Kelvins).
Bgerst103

Homework Statement

A cylinder fitted with a movable piston contains ideal gas at 27C, pressure .5 x 10^5 Pa, and volume 1.25 m^3. What will be the final temperature if the gas is compressed to .8 m^3 and the pressure rises to .82 x 10^5 Pa.

A) 125 C
B) 154 C
C) 246 C
D) 67.7 C
E) 41.8 C

Homework Equations

P1V1/T1=P2V2/T2

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought this problem was going to be pretty simple. (.5 x 10^5 Pa x 1.25 m^3)/27 = (.82 x 10^5 Pa x .8 m^3)/T2. I keep getting T2 is equal to 28.3392. Is there something I'm missing? It seems like the pressure/volume ratio doesn't change that drastically so the temperatures would be close but the closest answer is at ~15 C increase. Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to use absolute temperatures.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
You have to use absolute temperatures.

Chet

Got it. I thought since it was ratios the units wouldn't affect the final outcome but I was wrong.

Only when you're talking about temperature DIFFERENCES - not ratios - you may replace Kelvins with Celsius.

Your attempt at the solution is correct, but the final temperature you calculated (28.3392 C) is in Kelvin, not Celsius. To convert from Kelvin to Celsius, you need to subtract 273 from the temperature. Therefore, the final temperature in Celsius would be 28.3392 - 273 = -244.6608 C. This is the closest to the answer of 246 C, so your solution is correct.

1. What is the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of an ideal gas. It can be written as PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is temperature.

2. How do I solve an ideal gas law problem?

To solve an ideal gas law problem, you will need to know three of the four variables (pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles) and use the ideal gas law equation to find the missing variable. Make sure to convert all units to the appropriate SI units before solving.

3. What is the gas constant?

The gas constant, denoted by the symbol R, is a proportionality constant that relates the pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of a gas. It has a value of 8.3145 J/mol·K in SI units.

4. Can the ideal gas law be used for real gases?

The ideal gas law is an approximation that is most accurate for gases at low pressures and high temperatures. Real gases deviate from ideal behavior at high pressures and low temperatures due to intermolecular interactions. However, the ideal gas law can still be used as an approximation for real gases in many situations.

5. How is the ideal gas law derived?

The ideal gas law can be derived from the combined gas law, which combines Boyle's law, Charles's law, and Gay-Lussac's law. It can also be derived from the kinetic theory of gases, which assumes that gas molecules are in constant motion and do not interact with each other.