Idea concerning Quantum Entanglement

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of quantum entanglement and its implications for faster than light communication. The theory of entangled particles being correlated within the fabric of space-time is presented, with a reference to an article discussing the possibility. The mathematical principles of entanglement and superposition are explained, along with the misconception of entanglement as a form of communication. The discussion also touches on Bell's theorem and the concept of hidden variables. The conversation ends with a reminder to not read too much into the phenomenon of entanglement.
Daniel K
Hello everyone.
Today I was pondering quantum mechanical phenomenon, and I was focusing on quantum entanglement specifically. I came up with an interesting theory - and while it has no mathematical proof or possible way of experimenting with it - I still want to hear what you guys have to say.

Alright so here's the theory:
We're all aware that quantum entanglement seems to have faster than light communication. This has puzzled many physicists as this seems to violate GR theory. However, something that I believe that many physicists fail to remember is that space is expanding at a speed faster than light.
Through virtual particles, we can observe that quantum mechanical properties are fundamentally intrinsic within the fabric of space-time. And so, using this knowledge, could one contend that communication between two entangled particles is correlated within space-time - and thus allowing this communication between entangled objects to travel at faster than light speeds?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have to be blunt and say this is too wrong to refute quickly. I can only suggest you do some more learning.

Well I'm actually only in high school, but recently just was learning about quantum mechanics and I thought it was an interesting idea.

My simple hypothesis is as follows:
Sense we know that quantum entanglement could play a fundamental role in the fabric of space-time (here's a paper discussing it):https://www.quantamagazine.org/20150428-how-quantum-pairs-stitch-space-time/, and sense we know that space is expanding at a rate faster than light, could it be possible that the reason communication between entangled particles being faster than light is due to this correlation?

The very concept of entanglement is mathematical.

First you need to understand superposition. It is this - if |a> and |b> are quantum states then c1*|a> + c2*|b> where c1 and c2 are complex numbers is also a state.

Entanglement is an extension of superposition to different systems. Suppose two systems can be in state |a> and |b>. If system 1 is in state |a> and system 2 is in state |b> that is written as |a>|b>. If system 1 is in state |b> and system 2 is in state |a> that is written as |b>|a>. But we now apply the principle of superposition so that c1*|a>|b> + c2*|b>|a> is a possible state, The systems are entangled - neither system 1 or system 2 are in a definite state - its in a peculiar non-classical state the combined systems are in.

There is nothing mystical going on - its simply part of the basic mathematics of QM.

The strange things you have read about entanglement having FTL etc etc is now easy to understand. If system 1 is observed to be in state |a> then system 2 must be in state |b> and conversely if system 1 is in state |b> system 2 must be in state |a>. Its easy really.

Why is there all this discussion about it? Check out:
http://drchinese.com/David/Bell_Theorem_Easy_Math.htm

Thanks
Bill

Daniel K said:
we know that space is expanding at a rate faster than light
I certainly don't know (or believe) this.
could it be possible that the reason communication between entangled particles being faster than light is due to this correlation?
As bhobba says, there is no FTL communication. It is a correlation.

bhobba said:
The strange things you have read about entanglement having FTL etc etc is now easy to understand. If system 1 is observed to be in state |a> then system 2 must be in state |b> and conversely if system 1 is in state |b> system 2 must be in state |a>. Its easy really.

Why is there all this discussion about it? Check out:
http://drchinese.com/David/Bell_Theorem_Easy_Math.htm

Thanks for the article - really appreciate it.
Also if you don't mind I have a few questions.
Although this paper illustrates through the mathematical formulation of quantum mechanics why two particles' are spins are separate, it appears to me that it does not explain how the entangled particles communicate to each other which one should contain a certain spin. To say that they were entangled in that manner is essentially the hidden variable theory.

Daniel K said:
it appears to me that it does not explain how the entangled particles communicate to each other which one should contain a certain spin.

Why do you think they must communicate?

Put a blue slip of paper in an envelope and a red slip on another. Mix them up and one to the other side of the universe. Open one envelope and see it for example is blue. You know instantaneously the other is red. Did they communicate?

Have a look at Bells original paper on it:
https://cds.cern.ch/record/142461/files/198009299.pdf

The thing here is don't read more into it than necessary. All you have is a correlation just like the red and blue slips of paper. The rest is simply if you want to investigate if like the slips of paper it has the property of red and blue regardless of if you observe it or not. It turns out with entanglement if you want that they must communicate instantaneously, but nature doesn't have to be like that ie with properties existing regardless of observation.

Thanks
Bill

Related to Idea concerning Quantum Entanglement

1. What is quantum entanglement?

Quantum entanglement is a phenomenon in quantum physics where two or more particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle is dependent on the state of the other, even if they are physically separated. This connection is known as entanglement and it is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics.

2. How does quantum entanglement work?

Quantum entanglement occurs when two or more particles are created or interact in such a way that their states become dependent on each other. This means that if one particle is measured or observed, the state of the other particle(s) will also be determined, regardless of the distance between them.

3. What are the potential applications of quantum entanglement?

Quantum entanglement has a wide range of potential applications in various fields such as quantum computing, cryptography, and teleportation. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of quantum systems and in developing new technologies based on quantum mechanics.

4. Can quantum entanglement be used for faster-than-light communication?

No, quantum entanglement cannot be used for faster-than-light communication. While the state of an entangled particle can be instantly determined by measuring its entangled partner, the actual communication of information still has to follow the speed of light. This is due to the fact that the collapse of the wave function, which determines the state of the particle, cannot travel faster than the speed of light.

5. Is quantum entanglement a proven phenomenon?

Yes, quantum entanglement has been extensively studied and proven to be a real phenomenon. Multiple experiments have confirmed its existence and it is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics. While there are still many mysteries surrounding quantum entanglement, its existence is widely accepted in the scientific community.