Iceskating up a Hill: Determining Height with Initial Velocity and Friction

• Thread starter Gurkis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hill
In summary, an ice skater weighing 69kg glides up an incline hill at 20 degrees with an initial velocity of 8.9m/s. The friction between her skates and the ice is 0.97N. Using the equations for friction and acceleration, the skater reaches a height of approximately 4.0m, which is the correct answer. The initial error was due to incorrect rounding in the mathematical calculations.
Gurkis

Homework Statement

An iceskater weighing 69kg is gliding up an incline hill at 20 degrees.
How high up does the skater make it when her initial velocity is 8,9m/s and the friction between her skates and the ice is 0,97N.

Homework Equations

mg(y) = m*g*cos(20)
mg(x) = m*g*sin(20)

The Attempt at a Solution

F(friction) = [itex]\mu[/itex] * mg(y)

F[itex]\rightarrow[/itex] = F(f) + F(mg(x))

a=F[itex]\div[/itex]M[itex]\rightarrow[/itex]F[itex]\div[/itex]m=232,7[itex]\div[/itex]69 = 3,34m/s^2

s = (v^2 - v(o)^2) / 2a = 11,8m

sin(20)*11,8=4,05...[itex]\approx[/itex] 4,1m

the answer should be 4,0m. What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Physics looks good, maths is off...redo the math: you should get something like 4,02 which rounded to two sig figs is 4,0

I see, thanks. I thought my problem was that I was thinking about it all wrong. I redid the math and it checks out.

Appreciate the help!

Related to Iceskating up a Hill: Determining Height with Initial Velocity and Friction

1. How does initial velocity affect the height reached while iceskating up a hill?

The initial velocity, or the speed at which an object begins to move, has a direct impact on the height reached while iceskating up a hill. The higher the initial velocity, the greater the height reached will be. This is because the object has more kinetic energy, allowing it to overcome the force of gravity and reach a greater height before coming to a stop.

2. What role does friction play in determining the height reached while iceskating up a hill?

Friction, the force that opposes motion, plays a crucial role in determining the height reached while iceskating up a hill. Friction acts in the opposite direction of motion, slowing down the object and reducing its kinetic energy. Therefore, the higher the friction, the lower the height reached will be.

3. What factors can affect the amount of friction when iceskating up a hill?

The amount of friction experienced while iceskating up a hill can be affected by several factors. These include the roughness of the surface, the weight of the skater, and the type of skates being used. A rougher surface, a heavier skater, and skates with less friction (such as ice skates) will result in greater friction and therefore a lower height reached.

4. How can the height reached while iceskating up a hill be calculated?

The height reached while iceskating up a hill can be calculated by using the formula H = (v02)/2g, where H is the height, v0 is the initial velocity, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s2). This formula assumes no friction and can be used as an approximation for small hills. To account for friction, more complex equations and calculations may be necessary.

5. Are there any real-world applications for understanding the physics of iceskating up a hill?

Yes, there are several real-world applications for understanding the physics of iceskating up a hill. This knowledge can be used in sports and recreational activities, such as ice skating, skiing, and snowboarding. It can also be applied in engineering and design to create more efficient and effective equipment for these activities. Additionally, understanding the relationship between initial velocity, friction, and height can help us better understand and predict the behavior of objects in motion in various scenarios.