Movie: A Beautiful Mind (the story of genius John Nash)

In summary, the conversation is about the movie "A Beautiful Mind" and its portrayal of mathematician John Nash's life and his contributions to game theory. The participants discuss their opinions on the movie and share some related links. One person mentions attending a lecture and forum with Nash, while another mentions owning the book but not yet reading it. They also discuss the rewatchability of the movie.
brum
i just saw this movie last night for the first time and thought it was pretty good.

have you guys seen it? did you like it?

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/nash/ [Broken] (click on the link that says EXPLANATION)

i found that to be pretty interesting, and has sparked my interest in game theory and other related topics

some other links:

A Beautiful Mind

http://www.nobel.se/economics/laureates/1994/nash-autobio.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I simply loved the movie! Russel Crowe's acting job was magnificant in this one.

Thanks for the links, I know a little about game theory, but really not much. I should have looked this up a while ago.

I like the story too. I bought the book, A Beautiful Mind, last year but I haven't had time to read it yet. In February this year, Nash gave a lecture and a seminar on game theory in a university here! Also there was a forum held in that university in which students could ask him questions. Too bad that I was informed about this news too late. If I knew the news few hours earlier, I could have got a ticket. :frown:

just a note, the book is not very much like the book. and the movie is awesome, the first time. its not very rewatchable because you already know what is going to happen, and i think that just ruins it

1. What is the plot of "A Beautiful Mind"?

The movie follows the life of mathematician John Nash, who struggles with schizophrenia while also making groundbreaking contributions to the field of mathematics.

2. Is "A Beautiful Mind" based on a true story?

Yes, the movie is based on the real life of John Nash, who won a Nobel Prize in Economics for his work on game theory.

3. How does the movie portray mental illness?

The movie depicts John Nash's struggles with schizophrenia in a compassionate and realistic way, showing the impact it has on his personal and professional life.

4. Who stars in "A Beautiful Mind"?

Russell Crowe plays John Nash, with Jennifer Connelly portraying his wife Alicia. The movie also features Ed Harris and Paul Bettany in supporting roles.

5. What awards did "A Beautiful Mind" win?

The movie won four Academy Awards, including Best Picture and Best Director for Ron Howard. Russell Crowe also received a nomination for Best Actor.