IBM PC XT 256K Memory - How Does It Work?

• Thread starter curiousguy23
  • Start date
  • Tags
    pc Ram
In summary, the IBM PC XT technical reference states that the board can handle a maximum of 256K of memory, but there were two widely used configurations that allowed for more memory to be added through expansion cards. The earlier configuration could support up to 640KB while the later configuration could support the full 640KB on the motherboard itself. The photo provided in the conversation shows 27 chips with 256Kbits of DRAM each, which would amount to 6912Kbits and 864KB. However, it is likely that the board has 768KB with parity, and it is unknown if the memory map of the XT and what it allowed versus the AT.
curiousguy23
Hi All,

i was looking at the IBM PC XT technical reference and it states that the board can take a maximum of 256K of memory. If you look at the schematic you can then see 36 sockets for memory chips and if you see this picture of it

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/de/1/11/PCXTMainboard01.jpg

You can see that the memory chips are ud61256 256k by 1 DRAM chips. How can the board support all these chips if the max it can handle is 256k?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
640kB ought to be enough for anybody. If memory serves me well that was the limit for XT. Doesn't mean all were equipped with 640, early models (and/or cheap ones) had less.

Edit: taken from wikipedia:

There were two widely used configurations of the XT motherboard. The first could support up to 256kB on the motherboard itself (four banks of 64kB chips), with a maximum of 640kB achieved by using expansion cards. This was the configuration the XT originally shipped in. The second configuration - introduced in stock units in 1986 - could support the whole 640kB on the motherboard (two banks of 256kB chips, two banks of 64kB), had the later revision AT-compatible BIOS with a faster booting time, as well as support for 101-key keyboards and 3.5" floppy drives. The earlier configuration could be adapted to 'late' configuration after a couple of minor modifications.

Not sure you got what I am saying. Even if the max was 640kB , on the photo you can clearly see 27 chips each with 256Kbits of DRAM. This would amount to 6912Kbits in total and thus 864KB. From what I can see that board is equipped with more memory than it can handle, or I might be seeing it wrongly.

Yep, I misunderstood.

It's probably 768KB with parity. I don't recall if the memory map of the XT and what it allowed versus the AT.

Related to IBM PC XT 256K Memory - How Does It Work?

What is the IBM PC XT 256K Memory?

The IBM PC XT 256K Memory is a type of memory used in the IBM PC XT computer, which was released in 1983. It was an upgrade from the previous IBM PC model and had a memory capacity of 256 kilobytes.

How does the IBM PC XT 256K Memory work?

The IBM PC XT 256K Memory is a type of Random Access Memory (RAM) that stores data and instructions for the computer to access quickly. When the computer is turned on, the memory is loaded with the operating system and other necessary programs. When a user opens an application or file, it is loaded into the memory for the computer to process.

What is the maximum memory capacity of the IBM PC XT?

The IBM PC XT has a maximum memory capacity of 640 kilobytes. This means that it can support up to 640 kilobytes of RAM, which was considered a significant amount at the time of its release.

Can the IBM PC XT 256K Memory be upgraded?

Yes, the IBM PC XT 256K Memory can be upgraded by adding additional memory modules. The computer has eight expansion slots for RAM, allowing for a maximum memory capacity of 640 kilobytes. Upgrading the memory can help improve the computer's performance and allow for more complex tasks to be performed.

Is the IBM PC XT 256K Memory still used today?

No, the IBM PC XT 256K Memory is no longer used today. It has been replaced by newer and more advanced types of memory, such as Dynamic Random Access Memory (DRAM) and Synchronous Dynamic Random Access Memory (SDRAM). However, it played a significant role in the development of personal computers and is considered a classic among computer enthusiasts.