Last of a series (correction of previous post)

• Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the values of two sums that do not seem to converge. The person asking the question is computer-challenged and is seeking suggestions for inexpensive math software. Ken recommends getting an educational version or attending tech shows to find good deals on math software.
Loren Booda
Would you find the values of

[oo]
[sum] (-1)ncos(((2n)!)1/(2n))
n=1

and

[oo]
[sum] (-1)n+1sin(((2n+1)!)1/(2n+1))
n=0

for me? I am computer-challenged.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Are you sure that they converge?

From a first glance, I can see no reason why they should.

The 2 sums don't converge...:frown:

Picture of partial sums for the cos sum...
http://www.angelfire.com/pro/fbi/xcos.bmp

Picture of partial sums for the sin sum...
http://www.angelfire.com/pro/fbi/xsin.bmp

Last edited by a moderator:
What sort of hardware/software do you guys use to work out these problems? Could you suggest some simple, inexpensive ware for math?

I'm sticking with the two constants, "L" and "B," that bogdan confirmed previously.

A 486 PC...or something like that...It costs somewhere between 50 and 100 dollars...

Is there any easily learned, inexpensive yet versatile math software out there that I could run on my PC?

Inexpensive Math Software

Inexpensive depends on what you're willing to pay for it. If you are affiliated with a college you may get an educational version of the software that would be much, much cheaper than the full blown versions, even get the full blown version at an academic price.

Otherwise, I think you are going to pay full price and that is expensive. The other option is to attend the computer/tech shows that seem to make the circuit of civic centers during the summer. I have seen some good prices on math software if you can find it.

Good luck.

Ken

What is meant by "Last of a series"?

"Last of a series" refers to the final installment or item in a sequence or collection.

Why is a correction needed for the previous post?

A correction may be needed for the previous post if there was an error or mistake in the information presented, or if new information has come to light that requires an update.

Is it important to correct previous posts?

Yes, it is important to correct previous posts in order to ensure accuracy and credibility in the information being presented.

How does a correction affect the overall series?

A correction may affect the overall series by providing more accurate and up-to-date information for readers to reference. It may also help to maintain the integrity of the series as a whole.

Can readers still trust the information in the previous posts?

If a correction has been made, readers can still trust the information in the previous posts as long as they have been updated to reflect the correction. It is important for readers to check for any corrections or updates when referencing previous posts.