Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

I would like to say Happy Chinese New Year!

• Admin

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
To our forum members, particularly anemone, I wish to extend best wishes during the celebration of the Chinese New Year!

I hope this new year brings you what you wish for! (Sun)

anemone

MHB POTW Director
Staff member
Feb 14, 2012
To our forum members, particularly anemone, I wish to extend best wishes during the celebration of the Chinese New Year!

I hope this new year brings you what you wish for! (Sun)
Hey Mark, thanks for the wishes...I hope to mail to you some fortune cookies and pineapple tarts too!:p:D

• Admin

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
Sounds yummy!

Hey, I know it is Chinese tradition to associate certain animals with a particular year...what animal is associated with this new year? What does this signify for the upcoming year?

jakncoke

Jan 11, 2013
Sounds yummy!

Hey, I know it is Chinese tradition to associate certain animals with a particular year...what animal is associated with this new year? What does this signify for the upcoming year?
Also if you run out animals to assosiate, do you start making up cool animals, like a ziger(a tiger with a coat colored like a zebra).

• Admin

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
Also if you run out animals to assosiate, do you start making up cool animals, like a ziger(a tiger with a coat colored like a zebra).
Since there are a finite number (I think 14?) of calendars, I think the animals are cycled. So, no ligers or tiglons. (Happy)

anemone

MHB POTW Director
Staff member
Feb 14, 2012
Sounds yummy!

According to the Chinese Five Element Astrology Calendar, 2013 is the Year of Water Snake. The color of Water in Five Elements system is related to Black. Therefore we can say 2013 is a Black Snake, Water Snake or Black Water Snake year.

This 2013 year of Snake is meant for steady progress and attention to detail. Focus and discipline will be necessary for you to achieve what you set out to create. The Snake is the sixth sign of the Chinese Zodiac, which consists of 12 Animal Signs (First came the Rat, then the Ox, the Tiger, Rabbit, Dragon, Snake, Horse, Sheep, Monkey, Rooster, Dog and Pig). It is the enigmatic, intuitive, introspective, refined and collected of the Animals Signs. Ancient Chinese wisdom says a Snake in the house is a good omen because it means that your family will not starve.

In the Chinese zodiac, the Snake is listed after the Dragon, but its place and its significance as a symbol of worship is far less than that of the Dragon. it carries the meanings of malevolence, cattiness and mystery, as well as acumen, divination and the ability to distinguish herbs. In some places, people believe that a snake found in their court can bring delight. During Spring Festival, people like to paste onto their doors and windows the paper-cut 'Fu' character (happiness), combined with a snake twisting around a rabbit onto their doors and windows as a popular pattern indicating wealth.

People born in the Year of the Snake (1917, 1929, 1941, 1953, 1965, 1977, 1989, 2001, 2013, and so on) are deep. They say little and possess great wisdom. They never have to worry about money; they are financially fortunate. Snake people are often quite vain, selfish, and a bit stingy. Yet they have tremendous sympathy for others and try to help those less fortunate. Snake people tend to overdo, since they have doubts about other people's judgment and prefer to rely on themselves. They are determined in whatever they do and hate to fail. Although calm on the surface, they are intense and passionate. Snake people are usually good-looking and sometimes have martial problems because they are fickle. They are most compatible with the Ox and Rooster. Were you born in the year of the snake, friends?(Happy)

anemone

MHB POTW Director
Staff member
Feb 14, 2012
Hi jakncoke,

The Chinese Zodiac, known as Sheng Xiao in Chinese, is based on a twelve year cycle, each year in that cycle related to an animal sign. These animal signs are the rat, ox, tiger, rabbit, dragon, snake, horse, sheep, monkey, rooster, dog and pig. It is calculated according to Chinese lunar calendar.

The selection and order of the animals that influence people's lives very much was originated in the Han Dynasty (206 – 220) and based upon each animal's character and living habits. The old time division was mostly related to number 12: one ji equals 12 years, one year has 12 months, one day has 12 time periods called shi chen. Ancient people observe that there are 12 full moons within one year. So, its origin is associated with astronomy. Each animal sign is usually related with an earthly branch, so the animal years were called zi rabbit, chou ox, yin tiger, mao rabbit, chen dragon, si snack, wu horse, wei sheep, shen monkey, you rooster, xu dog and hai pig.

To answer to your question, we don't encounter the problem of lacking of animals to deal with because we always have a fixed and enough 12 animals to associate with.(Happy)

Best regards,

anemone

jakncoke

Jan 11, 2013
Hi jakncoke,

The Chinese Zodiac, known as Sheng Xiao in Chinese, is based on a twelve year cycle, each year in that cycle related to an animal sign. These animal signs are the rat, ox, tiger, rabbit, dragon, snake, horse, sheep, monkey, rooster, dog and pig. It is calculated according to Chinese lunar calendar.

The selection and order of the animals that influence people's lives very much was originated in the Han Dynasty (206 – 220) and based upon each animal's character and living habits. The old time division was mostly related to number 12: one ji equals 12 years, one year has 12 months, one day has 12 time periods called shi chen. Ancient people observe that there are 12 full moons within one year. So, its origin is associated with astronomy. Each animal sign is usually related with an earthly branch, so the animal years were called zi rabbit, chou ox, yin tiger, mao rabbit, chen dragon, si snack, wu horse, wei sheep, shen monkey, you rooster, xu dog and hai pig.

To answer to your question, we don't encounter the problem of lacking of animals to deal with because we always have a fixed and enough 12 animals to associate with.(Happy)

Best regards,

anemone
modular arithmetic in 206, hows that gauss?

kanderson

Jul 7, 2012
新年快乐。I take mandarin chinese at my high school. Happy year of the snake.

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
As I understand it, if someone in China says they had an "interesting year", that meant lots of bad things happened. So, I hope you have an "uninteresting year"!