I with spectrophotometry ( The Beer-Lambert Law )

• Thread starter BBoy.Goon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law
In summary, the equation %T = e-\epsilonbc is deduced from the Beer-Lambert Law by setting the two equations A = 2-log10%T and A = \epsilonbc equal to each other and solving for %T. This involves using the rule logab = logcb / logca and raising both sides to the power of 10. The value of e in the equation %T = e-\epsilonbc represents the Neper's number (e = 2.72).
BBoy.Goon
I'm doing a science project about the antioxidant activity of red wines from my country. This days, I was going through the theoretical part ( the basics of spectrophotometry, photometric analysis ect. ) and I'm currently at the Beer-Lambert Law. I'm would like to know the whole mathematical path that is used so that starting from this two equations: A = 2 - log10 %T and A = [tex]\epsilon[/tex]bc,

where:
A is absorbance, ( no units )
T is transmittance, ( no units )
[tex]\epsilon[/tex] is molar absorbtivity, ( L mol-1cm-1 )
b is the length of the sample ( path length of the cuvette ) ( cm ) and
c is the concentration of the compound in solution ( mol L-1 )

the equation %T = e -[tex]\epsilon[/tex]bc is deduced.

note: the molar absorbtivity is represented by the letter epsilon from the Greek alphabet and it's not superscripted as it looks like.

Thanks in advance

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Well, let's see...

Start by putting the two equations equal to each other...

[tex]2-log_{10}(T)=\epsilon b c[/tex]

Add log_10(t) to both sides...

[tex]2=\epsilon b c + log_{10}(T)[/tex]

Subtract epsilon b c from both sides...

[tex]2- \epsilon b c = log_{10}(T)[/tex]

And raise both sides to the power of 10.

[tex]T=10^2 * 10^{-\epsilon b c}[/tex]

I got a different answer than that... I'm not sure if that's right.

I started just like you ( putting the two equations equal to each other ) but I think that e, from the equation %T = e-[tex]\epsilon[/tex]bc stands for the so called Neper's number ( e = 2,72 ) and after using the rule that:

logab = logcb / logca

and several trasnformations I got stuck here:

loge%T = 2loge10 - [tex]\epsilon[/tex]bc loge10

Related to I with spectrophotometry ( The Beer-Lambert Law )

1. What is spectrophotometry?

Spectrophotometry is a technique used in chemistry and biochemistry to measure the amount of light absorbed by a substance. It involves passing a beam of light through a sample and measuring the intensity of light that passes through. This measurement can provide information about the concentration of the sample and its chemical properties.

2. How does spectrophotometry work?

Spectrophotometry works by using a spectrophotometer, which is an instrument that measures the intensity of light at different wavelengths. The sample is placed in a cuvette, and a beam of light is passed through it. The amount of light that passes through the sample is then measured by a detector, and this data is used to calculate the absorption or transmission of the sample.

3. What is the Beer-Lambert Law?

The Beer-Lambert Law, also known as the Beer-Lambert-Bouguer Law, is a fundamental principle in spectrophotometry. It states that the amount of light absorbed by a sample is directly proportional to the concentration of the sample and the path length of the light through the sample. This law is used to calculate the concentration of a substance in a sample based on its absorbance or transmittance.

4. What are the applications of spectrophotometry?

Spectrophotometry has a wide range of applications in various fields such as chemistry, biochemistry, environmental science, and medicine. It is used to analyze the concentration of substances in a sample, determine the purity of a substance, and identify substances based on their absorbance spectra. It is also used in drug development, forensic analysis, and quality control in industries.

5. What are the advantages of using spectrophotometry?

There are several advantages of using spectrophotometry, including its high sensitivity, accuracy, and speed. It is a non-destructive technique, which means the sample can be reused for further analysis. It also requires minimal sample preparation and can analyze a wide range of samples, including liquids, gases, and solids. Additionally, spectrophotometry is a cost-effective method compared to other analytical techniques.