I wanted to know that what exactly is Knocking in an engine cylinder.

In summary, knocking in an engine cylinder is a common fault that can be caused by advanced ignition timing, mechanical faults, and other factors such as high boost pressure and inadequate fuel knock resistance. It is important to understand the causes and effects of knocking in order to prevent damage to the engine and ensure optimal performance.
cyborgyash
I wanted to know that what exactly is Knocking in an engine cylinder. I know it's a kind of a fault. But how and whole process leading to it is, what i want to know.
Any reply will be well appreciated.

:D
Yash

Engineering news on Phys.org

Thanks !
But, i was looking forward for some users self explained answer.

it is DETONATION...big time problem and not good for the life of the engine.It is caused by ignition timing being advanced too much, over heating which causes vapor lock..i blew up aqn engine once when towing the race car trailer due to this.

The Wikipedia article sums it up very well, I'm not sure why you need anyone here to type out the same information. Read it, digest it, and if you still have questions come back and you'll get the help you need.

It's not only caused by advanced ignition timing, but can be caused by a mechanical fault, high boost pressure, high charge air temperature, low/high air fuel ratio (depending on fuel type), fuel with inadequate knock resistance and a few other factors. It's also normally the primary limitation on the rating of a spark ignition engine.

Related to I wanted to know that what exactly is Knocking in an engine cylinder.

1. What causes knocking in an engine cylinder?

Knocking in an engine cylinder is typically caused by improper combustion, where the air and fuel mixture ignites at the wrong time or at the wrong location in the cylinder.

2. Is knocking in an engine cylinder dangerous?

In some cases, knocking in an engine cylinder can be dangerous as it can lead to engine damage or failure. It is important to address the issue promptly to prevent any further damage.

3. How can knocking in an engine cylinder be prevented?

To prevent knocking in an engine cylinder, it is important to use the correct fuel octane rating recommended by the manufacturer. Regular maintenance and tune-ups can also help prevent knocking.

4. Can bad fuel cause knocking in an engine cylinder?

Yes, using low-quality or contaminated fuel can lead to knocking in an engine cylinder. It is important to use high-quality fuel from reputable sources to prevent this issue.

5. How is knocking in an engine cylinder diagnosed?

Knocking in an engine cylinder can be diagnosed by listening for a distinct knocking sound while the engine is running. A mechanic can also perform a diagnostic test using specialized equipment to identify the cause of the knocking.