I want to study applied mathematics on my own

In summary, if you want to study applied mathematics on your own, it is important to have a strong foundation in calculus. A good resource to start with is the book by Keisler, which provides an intuitive approach to calculus using infinitesimals. If you prefer a more traditional approach, Lang's First course in calculus is a good alternative. Regardless of which approach you choose, it is essential to understand all aspects of calculus, including differentiation, integration, series, sequences, and multivariable concepts.
rose123456789
i want to study applied mathematics on my own, but i don't know where to start

Physics news on Phys.org
That depends on "where" you are right now. What mathematics do you already know, and what level of school are you in, or have completed?

i know a little bit of calculus, I'm in 11th grade

Then you'll need to start with understanding all of calculus. That is: differentiation, integration, series, sequences and multivariable stuff. This is very much essential to mathematics.

I recommend you start with the book of Keisler: https://www.math.wisc.edu/~keisler/calc.html It gives awesome intuition for calculus. It deals with two very different approach to calculus, both standard and nonstandard (but focuses on the latter). That is: it accepts infinitesimals and does most calculations with them. The benefit is that
1) This is how calculus was historically developed.
2) It is more intuitive than the standard epsilon-delta approach
3) It is easier to give rigorous proofs than in the standard approach (except for some easy-to-believe facts)
4) Infinitesimals are still used widely in a lot of math and physics

If you do not feel comfortable learning about infinitesimals, then I recommend Lang's First course in calculus. This is also a very decent book, but his treatment of limits and continuity is a bit too brief.

Related to I want to study applied mathematics on my own

1. What are the benefits of studying applied mathematics on my own?

Studying applied mathematics on your own can improve critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, and self-discipline. It also allows for a more personalized and flexible learning experience.

2. How can I get started with studying applied mathematics on my own?

To get started, you can research different textbooks, online courses, and resources that cover the topics you are interested in. It's also helpful to create a study plan and set specific goals for yourself.

3. Is it necessary to have a strong background in mathematics to study applied mathematics on my own?

While a strong background in mathematics can be helpful, it is not necessary to study applied mathematics on your own. With dedication and determination, anyone can learn and understand the concepts.

4. How can I stay motivated while studying applied mathematics on my own?

Staying motivated while studying on your own can be challenging, but setting small achievable goals and taking breaks when needed can help. It's also important to remind yourself of the benefits and the end goal of your studies.

5. Are there any tips for success when studying applied mathematics on my own?

Some tips for success include staying organized, staying consistent with your study schedule, and seeking help from online communities or tutors when you encounter difficulties. It's also important to practice regularly and not get discouraged by mistakes.