I want to find Max horizontal range without

In summary, the problem involves calculating the maximum horizontal range of a toy dart gun fired straight upward and returning to the barrel in 2.9 seconds. The formula \frac{v_0^2}{g_0}=R_{max} can be used to solve this problem, but the individual also attempted to use v_y=v_{oy}+a_yt and \Delta x=v_{ox}*t to derive the equation. Eventually, they were able to arrive at the same result.
Saladsamurai
using [tex]\frac{v_0^2}{g_0}=R_{max}[/tex] for this problem:

You buy a toy dart gun and you want to calculate its Max Horizontal Range. You fire the gun straight upward and find that it takes 2.9 seconds for the dart to leave the barrel and then return to the barrel.

Can this be done without the formula. I already tried this:

[tex]V_y=v_{oy}+a_yt[/tex] to find that [tex]v_{oy}=14.21[/tex] I used v_f=0 and t=1.45 to find v_y initial. Now that should be equal to the magnitude of just plain [tex]v_0[/tex] right? or is that a false assumption?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, so the vo for the gun is 14.21m/s. That's correct.

Why can't you use that formula?

Strange... because I don't see how to calculate the maximum range without ultimately using or deriving that equation...

learningphysics said:
Yes, so the vo for the gun is 14.21m/s. That's correct.

Why can't you use that formula?

Strange... because I don't see how to calculate the maximum range without ultimately using or deriving that equation...

Well, I can...but I don't want to; I want to derive it but I am having trouble arriving at the same number I get by using the range formula.

I am assuming that I get max range at 45 degrees...is that not correct?

So range would equal [tex](v_0)_x*t=14.21\cos45*t[/tex] Right? BUt what do I use for t? I must have to eliminate it..huh?

Last edited:
I got it. I used [tex]v_y=v_{oy}+at[/tex] to find t and then multiplied it by 2 to get [tex]\frac{14.21sin45}{4.9}=t[/tex] in [tex]\Delta x=v_{ox}*t[/tex] and got the exact same number...sweet.

Thanks again LP,
Casey

Last edited:

Related to I want to find Max horizontal range without

What is the maximum horizontal range without air resistance?

The maximum horizontal range without air resistance is known as the projectile's theoretical maximum range. It is influenced by factors such as initial velocity, launch angle, and gravitational acceleration.

How do I determine the maximum horizontal range without air resistance?

The maximum horizontal range without air resistance can be calculated using the formula R = (v2sin2θ)/g, where R is the range, v is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the gravitational acceleration.

What is the relationship between launch angle and maximum horizontal range without air resistance?

The maximum horizontal range without air resistance is directly proportional to the sine of twice the launch angle. This means that increasing the launch angle will increase the maximum range, but only up to a certain point before it starts to decrease.

How does air resistance affect the maximum horizontal range?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can significantly decrease the maximum horizontal range of a projectile by slowing it down. This is because the force of drag acts in the opposite direction of the projectile's motion, causing it to lose speed and ultimately fall to the ground sooner.

Is it possible to find the maximum horizontal range without air resistance in real-life scenarios?

In real-life scenarios, it is difficult to achieve the theoretical maximum range without air resistance due to factors such as air resistance, wind, and imperfect launch conditions. However, the calculation of the theoretical maximum range can still serve as a useful reference point for predicting and analyzing projectile motion.