I want to design a diode circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a diode circuit with specific voltage and current relationships. The circuit should have a Vo vs. Vi graph that shows Vo = Vi between -2 and 2, Vo as a linear function with slope 0.5 between 2 and 4, and a similar linear function with slope 0.5 for Vi between -2 and -4. It should also have Vo = 3 when Vi > 4 and Vo = -3 when Vi < 4. The possibility of using only diodes, as well as other components such as transistors and resistors, is debated. The solution suggested is to use a piecewise linear circuit with zener diodes and resistors,
Nickclark
i want to design a diode circuit where the Vo vs. Vi looks like this:

Vi between -2 and 2 Vo = Vi

Vi between 2 and 4 Vo is a linear with slope 0.5
Vi between -2 and -4 Vo is a linear with slope 0.5

Vi>4 Vo=3
Vi<4 Vo=-3

how can i do this?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Just with diodes? Are you sure this is possible?

With a lot of transistors and resistors? That is possible, but it could look messy.

you can use diodes, voltage sources, and resistors.
i don't know how to get Vo=3 if Vi=4 and Vo=-3 if Vi=4 in one circuit!

This takes me back to generating arbitrary laws with 'piecewise linear' circuits using zener diodes and resistors. I googled the term and saw this link, which does the sort of thing I think you are after. (about half way through the slide show). Google the same term and you should get some other suggestions.
You'd have to work out the resistors for yourself but you should be able to solve the problem that way.

That's exactly what i was looking for! Thank you!
I solved it without zener, but used diode and a voltage source instead, hopefully it's correct!
Thanks again!

Related to I want to design a diode circuit

1. How does a diode work in a circuit?

Diodes are electronic components that allow current to flow in only one direction. They are made of a semiconductor material, typically silicon, with an added impurity to create a specific type of diode. When a voltage is applied to the diode, it allows current to flow from the anode (positive side) to the cathode (negative side), but not in the opposite direction.

2. What is the purpose of using a diode in a circuit?

Diodes are used in circuits to control the direction of current flow. They can also be used to convert alternating current (AC) to direct current (DC) by blocking the negative portion of the AC waveform. Additionally, diodes can act as voltage regulators, preventing the circuit from exceeding a certain voltage level.

3. How do I choose the right diode for my circuit?

The type of diode you need will depend on the specific application of your circuit. Some common types of diodes include rectifier diodes, Zener diodes, and Schottky diodes. Consider factors such as voltage and current ratings, switching speed, and temperature range when selecting a diode for your circuit.

4. Can I use multiple diodes in a circuit?

Yes, diodes can be used in parallel or in series in a circuit. When used in parallel, the diodes will share the same voltage and current, but can handle higher current overall. When used in series, the diodes will share the same current, but can handle higher voltage overall.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when designing a diode circuit?

One common mistake is forgetting to include a resistor in series with the diode to limit the current. This can result in the diode burning out. It is also important to pay attention to the polarity of the diode and ensure it is connected in the correct orientation. Additionally, using a diode with insufficient ratings for your circuit can lead to malfunctions or damage.