I want some advice on motorizing my bike.

• Thread starter math_way
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bike
In summary, the conversation is about motorizing a two-wheeler with an electric motor. The questions discussed include the required voltage for the motor, the source of energy, and the throttle mechanism. The conversation also explores alternative options, such as using car batteries or a gas motor, and a more fun idea of using an AC generator powered by the rider's legs to charge a small battery to assist the motor. The conversation ends with the suggestion to convert mechanical energy to electrical energy to power the motorbike.
math_way
Hi!

I thought of motorizing my 2 wheeler.
1) Now i want to know how much Voltage (DC motor) is required to turn my wheel.
2) The source of energy? (Maybe Electric). If electric, I know it will be difficult to use batteries to run the motor. Considering car batteries, they are just too heavy. Any suggestions?
3) Throttle. I need some help on that as well, as in synchornizing the wheel movement with the throttle.

Thank You.

Regards,
math_way

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm assuming you want to go more than 10 feet?

If so...4 car batteries hooked in series for 48 volts outta do the trick.

I'm guessing 1 HP outta do...that's about 746 watts for a 48 volt dc motor.

P=IV

746=I*48

Current will be 15.54...so figure 20 amps with magnetic field losses and so forth...#10 wires outta do the trick to the motor.

For throttle...use the same thing they use on the tyco trains...that little slide device that controls the speed of the train.

Have a nice day.

But each car battery weighs roughly 20 lbs... and 4 such batteries will weigh about 80 lbs. That's a little too much weight... any alternative?

I have been looking into this too and I found this on eBay for pretty cheap, I think , lol

It's a kit, they have others if you look

http://www.ebay.com/itm/48V1000W26-Front-Wheel-Electric-Bicycle-Motor-Kit-E-Bike-Cycling-Hub-Conversion-/390406828047?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ae60f700f

math_way said:
But each car battery weighs roughly 20 lbs... and 4 such batteries will weigh about 80 lbs. That's a little too much weight... any alternative?

Sure...two 24 volt batteries in series for 48 volts. Your motor scooter will now go half the distance as the 4 batteries.

Electric powered vehicles are difficult to make...and as you can see the power to weight ratio is not very good. There are some electric cars now...but they aren't exactly lighting the world on fire. Not yet anyway.

Try a gas motor. The power to weight ratio is amazing.

Last edited:
Here's possibly a better idea that would be more fun.

Power an DC motor with an AC generator into a full wave rectifier. The AC generator would be powered by your legs.

If you could get 1 HP out of your legs...this would translate into less than 1 HP to your motor due to heat and magnetic field losses...but still would be kinda nifty since you are just looking to play around.

Maybe you could add a small battery as well that could assist or get charged by your generator as well. Then figure out a way to charge your battery when you were going down hills and so forth...just like the hybrids.

psparky said:
Here's possibly a better idea that would be more fun.

Power an DC motor with an AC generator into a full wave rectifier. The AC generator would be powered by your legs.

If you could get 1 HP out of your legs...this would translate into less than 1 HP to your motor due to heat and magnetic field losses...but still would be kinda nifty since you are just looking to play around.

Maybe you could add a small battery as well that could assist or get charged by your generator as well. Then figure out a way to charge your battery when you were going down hills and so forth...just like the hybrids.

Nice Idea! I too thought of converting Mechanical Energy to Electrical Energy, therby powering my motor bike with the electrical energy. Sounds great! I'll see what I can do. And I'll update you on my progress. Thank You!

Related to I want some advice on motorizing my bike.

1. How much will it cost to motorize my bike?

The cost of motorizing a bike can vary greatly depending on the type of motor, brand, and installation. On average, a basic motor kit can cost anywhere from $200-$500, while a more high-end kit can cost upwards of $1500. It is important to do research and compare prices before making a purchase.

2. Will motorizing my bike affect its speed and performance?

Yes, adding a motor to your bike will definitely affect its speed and performance. Depending on the type of motor and its power output, your bike may be able to reach higher speeds and have an increased range. However, it is important to note that the added weight of the motor may also affect the bike's handling and agility.

3. Do I need any special tools or skills to install a motor on my bike?

Installing a motor on a bike can be a complex process and generally requires some basic mechanical skills. You will also likely need tools such as a wrench, screwdriver, and pliers. It is recommended to have some prior experience with bike maintenance before attempting to install a motor on your own.

4. Can I still ride my bike like a regular bicycle after it is motorized?

Yes, after installing a motor on your bike, it can still be ridden like a regular bicycle. Most motor kits come with a clutch system that allows you to disengage the motor and pedal the bike as you normally would. You can also choose to turn off the motor completely and ride solely on pedal power.

5. Are there any legal restrictions or requirements for motorized bikes?

Yes, there are laws and regulations that govern the use of motorized bikes. These can vary by state or country, so it is important to research and understand the regulations in your area before motorizing your bike. In some cases, a special license or registration may be required for motorized bikes.