I want a deep clarification in entropy

• Thread starter sunny995
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Entropy
In summary, sunny995 has asked for a deeper understanding of entropy and has been advised to research and return with any specific questions. Bobbywhy has also provided a helpful link and suggestions for posting a question on the forum. Rookey has also joined the conversation and is seeking help with posting a question.
sunny995
i want a deep clarification in entropy

Science news on Phys.org

sunny995, Welcome to Physics Forums!

You have asked a question that needs a careful and exact answer, not easily done in a few sentences. You will need to study it on your own, and then return here when you get confused, don’t understand some detail, or just need some explanation. Just post your doubt/question and members here are ready and willing to help you understand the science of entropy.

Here’s one place you can start your journey:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entropy

Do not limit yourself to this one site. Use Google search and find lots of other sites which will help you learn about entropy. We await your return with your questions.
Cheers,
Bobbywhy

Entropy is a measure of the unavailability of a system’s energy to do work.
Spontaneous changes tend to smooth out differences in temperature, density, pressure, and chemical potential that may exist in a system, and entropy is thus a measure of how far this smoothing-out process has progressed.
Take a glass of water with ice in it, the ice will get warmer and the water will get cooler. Entropy is a measure of how far this has progressed.
The relative entropy in this example would be highest after the ice has melted and all the water is at the same temperature.

Rookey again. I have just joined and I don't know how to post a question I would like help with

rookey, Welcome to Physics Forums!

You can post your question easily. Here it's often called "starting a new thread" or "Opening Post (OP). Just go the the section that best covers your subject, like "General Physics", where we are now. Find the box labeled "Frequently Asked Questions" and then look just below it on the left. You should see a little box with "New Topic". Click on that and then you may enter your question.

May I suggest that you use your word processor to write out your question first? Then, when you're satisfied it is clear and will be understood by all our readers, then "copy" it. Then when you open the "New Topic" just "paste" it in and click "Post".

We look forward to your contributions.
Cheers,
Bobbywhy

Related to I want a deep clarification in entropy

1. What is entropy and why is it important in science?

Entropy is a measure of the amount of disorder or randomness in a system. It is important in science because it can help us understand and predict the behavior and changes of various systems, such as thermodynamic systems, chemical reactions, and even biological systems.

2. How is entropy related to the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. This means that energy will naturally flow from areas of higher concentration to areas of lower concentration, resulting in an increase in entropy. Therefore, entropy is closely related to the second law of thermodynamics as it helps us understand and quantify the direction and magnitude of energy flow in a system.

3. Can you provide an example of entropy in action?

A classic example of entropy is the melting of ice. When ice is exposed to heat, the molecules gain energy and begin to move more rapidly, causing the ordered structure of ice to break down and become more disordered. This results in an increase in entropy, as the molecules become more randomly arranged.

4. Is there a way to decrease entropy in a system?

Yes, it is possible to decrease entropy in a system, but it requires an input of energy. For example, a refrigerator decreases the entropy of its contents by using energy to pump heat out of the system, creating a more ordered and organized environment.

5. How is entropy used in information theory?

In information theory, entropy is used to measure the uncertainty or randomness of a system or message. The higher the entropy, the more uncertain the message is, and vice versa. This allows us to quantify and analyze the amount of information in a system or message, making it useful in fields such as data compression and cryptography.