What force will be needed to start the sled moving?

• Thread starter badboyben03
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, we discussed the problem of a sled being pulled along snow-covered ground and the forces needed to start, accelerate, and maintain its motion. The formula for calculating static friction was also mentioned. We then moved on to a new problem involving a block being accelerated on a horizontal surface and calculated the frictional force and coefficient of friction. AIM contact information was also exchanged.
badboyben03
i need help with figureing out this problem

A sled of mass 57 kg is pulled along snow-covered, flat ground. The static friction coefficient is 0.30, and the sliding friction coefficient is 0.10.

Once moving, what total force must be applied to the sled to accelerate it 4.6 m/s2?

What force is needed to keep the sled moving at a constant velocity?

I figured out the weight, but i need the formula to figure out the rest.

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by badboyben03
i need help with figureing out this problem

A sled of mass 57 kg is pulled along snow-covered, flat ground. The static friction coefficient is 0.30, and the sliding friction coefficient is 0.10.

Once moving, what total force must be applied to the sled to accelerate it 4.6 m/s2?

What force is needed to keep the sled moving at a constant velocity?

I figured out the weight, but i need the formula to figure out the rest.
To start the sled moving, you need to overcome static friction, the force of which is mu*F_n. F_n in this case is equal to the mass*gravity of the sled.

So the force to start = mu*m*g = .3*57*9.81 = 167.751 N

Now to accelerate it to 4.6 m/s^2, you need to opposte the force of sliding (kinetic) friction

Net F_x = F_applied - F_friction = ma
F_applied is what we're looking for, F_friction again is mu*m*g where mu is KINETIC friction this time (not static)

So F_applied = mu_k*m*g+m*a (a is 4.6 m/s^2, the acceleration we want to get it to)
F_applied = .1*57*9.81+57*4.6 = 318.117 N

thanks

thanks. do you think you can help me w/ my last problem?

edit: whoops, didn't see it

To keep something at constant velocity the net Force must be zero.. so here we have F_applied - F_friction = 0

or F_applied = F_friction = mu_k*m*g = .1*57*9.81 = 55.917

thanks!

A force of 45 N accelerates a 6.0-kg block at 7.0 m/s2 along a horizontal surface.

How large is the frictional force and what is the coefficient of friction?

A force of 45 N accelerates a 6.0-kg block at 7.0 m/s2 along a horizontal surface.

How large is the frictional force and what is the coefficient of friction?
ok.. again, just set up your net f_x forces. We have the applied force (let's call it F_a) and the frictional force (F_f)

Net F_x = F_a - F_f = m*a
Solving for F_f, we have F_a - m*a = F_f

The applied force is 45N, the mass is 6.0kg, and acceleration is 7.0 m/s^2.. plug them in, you get a frictional force of 3N

Now, F_f = mu_k*m*g
mu_k (coefficient of friction) = F_f/(m*g) = 3N/(6.0kg*9.81m/s^2) = 0.05096 ~ .051

yeah

Originally posted by deltabourne
edit: whoops, didn't see it

To keep something at constant velocity the net Force must be zero.. so here we have F_applied - F_friction = 0

or F_applied = F_friction = mu_k*m*g = .1*57*9.81 = 55.917

yeah i figured that one out later on, but thanks anyway

Originally posted by deltabourne
ok.. again, just set up your net f_x forces. We have the applied force (let's call it F_a) and the frictional force (F_f)

Net F_x = F_a - F_f = m*a
Solving for F_f, we have F_a - m*a = F_f

The applied force is 45N, the mass is 6.0kg, and acceleration is 7.0 m/s^2.. plug them in, you get a frictional force of 3N

Now, F_f = mu_k*m*g
mu_k (coefficient of friction) = F_f/(m*g) = 3N/(6.0kg*9.81m/s^2) = 0.05096 ~ .051

thanks again! do you have AIM?

thanks again! do you have AIM?
yep: simplydelta

feel free to message me anytime

1. What is the definition of force?

Force is a physical quantity that describes the interaction between two objects. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How does force affect the movement of an object?

Force is responsible for causing a change in an object's velocity, either by increasing or decreasing its speed or changing its direction of motion.

3. What factors determine the amount of force needed to start a sled moving?

The amount of force needed to start a sled moving depends on the mass of the sled, the surface it is on, and the direction and magnitude of the force applied to it.

4. How can we calculate the force needed to start a sled moving?

The force needed to start a sled moving can be calculated using Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that force (F) is equal to mass (m) multiplied by acceleration (a), or F=ma.

5. What are some examples of forces that can be applied to a sled to start it moving?

Examples of forces that can be applied to a sled to start it moving include pushing or pulling it with a rope or handle, using gravity by sliding down a slope, or using a motorized force such as a snowmobile pulling the sled.