I think I get it now. Thanks for your help. You're welcome, happy to help!

In summary: OK I've tried it a second time and come out with a different answer. I differentiate x = 4t^2 - t^3 to become v = 8t - 3t^2Making v = 0 I get either v = 2.6 or v = 0. How do I know which one to use. I then differentiate further to solve for acceleration. a = 8 - 6twhen making a = 0 I get 1.3 secondsAm I now on the right track?Well I think the more -interesting- time would be the t=2.66 since the object was at origin and not moving at t = 0for 3 you can just use mean value theorem
monkfishkev

Homework Statement

An object starts from position X = 0 and moves along a straight line with its position given by x = 4t^2 - t^3 where t is the time taken to reach position x.
Find:
i) The time at which the velocity is zero
ii) The time at which the acceleration is zero
iii) The average velocity over the first three seconds.

2. The attempt at a solution
Please can somebody let me know if these answers are correct
i) 0.53s
ii) 0.27s
iii) -37s

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It's good if you try to sketch the graph of the function where you can evaluate you answers.

Hi monkfishkev
1) no, this is wrong, and the velocity is 0 more than once, it is 0 at 0 how are you solving this ?
2) wrong too, but you should write how you solved it instead of giving the numerical result so that we know if your method is wrong or if you just messed the numerical result (I suspect the former)
3) wrong too

Please explain how you understood the problem and how you solved it, the numerical result is much less important than showing how you get it

Cheers...

OK I've tried it a second time and come out with a different answer.
I differentiate x = 4t^2 - t^3 to become v = 8t - 3t^2
Making v = 0 I get either v = 2.6 or v = 0. How do I know which one to use.

I then differentiate further to solve for acceleration. a = 8 - 6t
when making a = 0 I get 1.3 seconds

Am I now on the right track?

monkfishkev said:
OK I've tried it a second time and come out with a different answer.
I differentiate x = 4t^2 - t^3 to become v = 8t - 3t^2
Making v = 0 I get either v = 2.6 or v = 0. How do I know which one to use.

I then differentiate further to solve for acceleration. a = 8 - 6t
when making a = 0 I get 1.3 seconds

Am I now on the right track?

Well I think the more -interesting- time would be the t=2.66 since the object was at origin and not moving at t = 0
for 3 you can just use mean value theorem for integrals right?
average f(x) from a to b = integral from a to b f(x)dx/b-a

Yes you are on the right track
for (1), as madah12 says, the case where t is non 0 is 'more interesting' so to speak. I would just formulate my answer stating that there are two good answers and give both instead of picking one. (if for some reason you absolutely must pick one, than the non zero one looks better yes)
(2) is ok too
for (3) you don't need anything fancy: you have the position at t=0, the position at t=3, the average speed is the distance by the time, so
[(position at 3) - (position at 0)]/3
position at 3 is 0, so your average speed is simply x(3)/3

Cheers...

Related to I think I get it now. Thanks for your help. You're welcome, happy to help!

What is variable acceleration?

Variable acceleration is a type of motion in which the acceleration of an object changes over time. This means that the object's speed is not constant, and it is either speeding up or slowing down.

What causes variable acceleration?

Variable acceleration can be caused by a number of factors, including the application of a force, changes in the direction of motion, and the presence of external forces such as friction or air resistance. In some cases, it can also be caused by a change in the mass of the object.

How is variable acceleration different from constant acceleration?

Constant acceleration refers to the motion of an object where its acceleration remains the same throughout. This means that the object's speed increases or decreases by the same amount in each unit of time. On the other hand, variable acceleration means that the acceleration is changing, so the speed changes at a non-uniform rate.

What is the formula for calculating variable acceleration?

The formula for calculating variable acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is the acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval. This formula can be used to calculate the acceleration of an object at any given point in time.

How is variable acceleration represented graphically?

Variable acceleration is represented graphically by a curved line on a velocity-time graph. The shape of the curve can indicate whether the object is accelerating or decelerating, and the steepness of the curve represents the rate of change in acceleration.