I (t ) =15 2 cos (2π 60t ) [A]

• Thread starter XodoX
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cos
In summary, the conversation discusses a wire with a given current equation and the task of determining the number of electrons crossing a specific point on the wire in a given time interval. The solution involves using the equation for current and integrating it with respect to time to find the total charge. From there, the number of electrons can be calculated.
XodoX

A wire has a current given by
i (t ) =15 2 cos (2π 60t ) [A].
Determine how many electrons cross a particular point on the wire, moving from right to left, in
the time interval 0 < t < 0.001
I don't get this one. What equation do Ineed to use? I can't find the right one, but it seems so easy. :confused:
]

Physics news on Phys.org
XodoX said:
A wire has a current given by
i (t ) =15 2 cos (2π 60t ) [A].
Determine how many electrons cross a particular point on the wire, moving from right to left, in
the time interval 0 < t < 0.001

Hi XodoX! :smile:

Hint: current = charge per time, so ∫(current)d(time) = charge :wink:

I don't get it. Couldn't I just plug in the numbers and substract both equations?

Related to I (t ) =15 2 cos (2π 60t ) [A]

1. What does the equation "I (t) = 15 2 cos (2π 60t) [A]" represent?

The equation represents the instantaneous current (I) at any given time (t) in a circuit with a maximum amplitude of 15 A and a frequency of 60 Hz.

2. How do I interpret the value of 15 A in the equation?

The value of 15 A represents the maximum amplitude of the current in the circuit. This means that at any given time, the current will never exceed 15 A.

3. What is the significance of the 2 in the equation?

The 2 represents the coefficient of the cosine function. It is used to scale the amplitude of the current and does not affect the frequency.

4. How is the frequency of 60 Hz related to the equation?

The frequency of 60 Hz is represented by the value in the argument of the cosine function, 2π 60t. This means that the current repeats itself 60 times per second, or has a period of 1/60 seconds.

5. Can this equation be used to calculate the total current in a circuit?

No, this equation only represents the instantaneous current at a given time. To calculate the total current in a circuit, you would need to integrate the equation over a period of time.