Circle eqauation - can ne1 double check my work

In summary, after simplifying the equation, the center and radius of the circle are (-1/4, -1) and 1/4, respectively. However, the equation should be written in the form (x + 1/4)^2 + (y + 1)^2 = 1/16 in order for the radius to be 1. Adding 16 to both sides of the equation will result in the correct answer.
Agent_J
Find the center and radius of the circle
16x^2 + 16y^2 + 8x + 32y + 1 = 0

So first i simplified the equation by taking out the 16
so i got:

16 (x^2 + 1/2x + y^2 + 2y) = -1
16 (x^2 + 1/2x + 1/16) + 16 (y^2 + 2y + 1) = -1 + 1 + 1
16 (x + 1/4)^2 + 16 (y + 1)^2 = 1

Center = (-1/4, -1)
Radius = 1

Are my calculations correct? Do I need to take out the 16 in my equation?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I believe you should write it in the form (x + 1/4)^2 + (y + 1)^2 = 1/16 = (1/4)^2. Then you can see that the radius is 1/4.

uh oh, then I must have done something wrong because the answer for the Radius should be just 1 :frown:

16 (x^2 + 1/2x + 1/16) + 16 (y^2 + 2y + 1) = -1 + 1 + 1

On the left hand side you added 16 on the right hand side you added 1.
If you add 16 to both sides it will work out.

1. What is the formula for the circle equation?

The formula for the circle equation is (x-h)^2 + (y-k)^2 = r^2, where (h,k) represents the center point of the circle and r is the radius.

2. How do I know if my work on the circle equation is correct?

To check your work on the circle equation, you can plug in the values for (h,k) and r into the formula and see if it satisfies the equation. You can also graph the equation on a coordinate plane to visually confirm your work.

3. Can I use any point on the circle to solve for the equation?

No, you cannot use any point on the circle to solve for the equation. The point must be the center (h,k) and the radius must be the distance from the center to any point on the circle.

4. What is the significance of the radius in the circle equation?

The radius in the circle equation represents the distance from the center of the circle to any point on the circle. It is a key component in determining the shape and size of the circle.

5. Is there an alternative formula for the circle equation?

Yes, there is an alternative formula for the circle equation known as the parametric form, which is x = h + rcos(t) and y = k + rsin(t). This formula is often used in calculus and polar coordinates.